VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,

I have a 2004 Beetle. When I unlock with my clicker, the locks pop up, but the door won't open. I pull up the handle, but it's stuck and won't open. I was just using the key to manually unlock, but I've discovered that if I click open the trunk then close it, the door then becomes "unstuck."

Also, about the trunk: when I click it open, if I don't grab and open the trunk immediately, it gets stuck and won't open despite the fact that it's popped up a little. I have to re-click and try again (faster).

My mechanic can't figure it out and thought someone might know here. We've tried WD40 on both trunk and door.

Any ideas?

Otherwise, I LOVE this car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
We see allot of electrical issues with the doors and wiring harnesses. A scan with a vw scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech; may reveal factory vw trouble codes, indicating the source of your problem.

Here are the most common failures:

door lock module: (typically the drivers side; which get the most use); internal microswitches fail, internal ciruit board solder joints crack, causing a intermittant connection issue and finally, mechanical issues, in the door lock module can develop, over time. Replacement, it typically the easiest and reliable fix for this.

Here is a diy; showing how to pull the door apart and replace the door lock module, inspect wiring harness for damage:

https://www.newbeetle.org/forums/qu...le/109049-window-regualtro-door-lock-diy.html

wiring harness: the harness, going from the body to drivers side door or even, going to the back hatch door, flex everytime they are opened. Eventually, these wires will break; causing a intermittant conneciton issue or break, killing power to the related doors.

door handle; there are mechanical parts in the handle; that connect to the door lock cylinder, that can eventually wear out and break. There are rebuild kits for these and they can be repaired.

The idea, that you are able; to momentarily "fix" your problem, by opening/closing the back hatch, may cause the comfort control module, to be "reset", which would allow the data bus, to start working again. A failed component, like a bad door lock module; can cause, the data bus, to go down and cause things to stop working.

So, there can be a number of causes for your problem; one needs to troubleshoot the problem. The first step, would be to get the car scanned with a vw compatible scan tool and see, if any codes, may pinpoint, the cause of your problem. Let us know, how you want, toproceed with your repairs and we can go from there. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.