NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure anyone else has this problem. When I unlock the passenger door (Which I have to press the unlock button twice to unlock it.) to put something in the passenger's seat and I have key fob in hand, the car beeps and locks the doors (While a door is still open).

And then sometimes, if I unlock the door but I'm still holding the key fob in hand and I have to wait a minute or two for a car to pass by before making it to the driver's side, the doors lock on me before I can make it to the driver's side.

And the doors don't always lock when I get in car to drive somewhere. It's little strange but overall, I've never saw it a major concern.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Passenger side, or more likely driver side door latch is acting up. There is a small switch (micro-switch) inside the latch mechanism that is probably malfunctioning, causing the car to think that the door is not where it is physically.

It's a moderate skill level to replace. Involves removal of interior and inner door panels. If you search on here, there are tutorials.

Look for "micro-switch", "latch replacement" or variations of those.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
That happens to me, too. I have just learned to deal with it.... :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure about all your problems there but I do know that my Rosie has always locked the doors on me if I unlocked them and then waited like 30 sec. or more before opening a door. She has done this since she was new. This (as far as I know) is designed that way so if you unlock your doors by accident (by putting the fob in your pocket/purse)they will lock for you. As for them locking while the door is open I have no idea. I have not experienced that. Dose the alarm go off as well? Sounds like Boblamb58 knows what hes talking about so I would go with that.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
All New Beetle doors lock after 28 seconds, after the fob is pressed to unlock them, if you haven't opened the door.

If yours are locking when the door is open, then the contact from door to body is broken :( :)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Its a bad microswitch, as I posted links on and boblamb said. I've had both of mine fail. Those are the exact symptoms (door locking after its been opened).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts