NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one here? Pics? I know our cars only have the single DIN, but how hard would it be to install? Im asking because i just got one in a trade.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
I think bugsgogo.com sells the double DIN center dash pod. I believe the pic is actually for a second unit, but.... ah, here's a pic- you be the judge:D

Looks like the 98-05 model is no longer available.

·
Registered
307 Posts
just an fyi for those going to that site, they use stupid scripting to take over your browser and full screen it. Sorry i just hate it when sites do that.

otherwise they have some interesting stuff there.

edit: after looking further those are not double din, that is 2 single din pods.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
With some slight modifiction the top one would make a really sharp triple guage pod, maybe even roon for four. Anyone got one of these for sale?

MORAV

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
I'm not sure I'd want a 2nd unit stacked that high on my dash...

And I definitely wouldn't want a double-din unit up there either O_O
I'm not a fan of that unit either. Just throwing it out there for reference sake. Like MORAV said, it might be something worth fabricating into something different, even betterl

Currently one of our members is custom building a double-din modification to his dash so that he can have it near the stock location.

read about it over on his thread :)

http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/41325-orange-vert-bubble-21.html#post727326
Tim's DIN mod definitely takes the prize:bigthumb: I think He's got enough detail on His thread to allow one to try this for themselves.

·
Dumpkin
354 Posts
I'm not a fan of that unit either. Just throwing it out there for reference sake. Like MORAV said, it might be something worth fabricating into something different, even betterl

Tim's DIN mod definitely takes the prize:bigthumb: I think He's got enough detail on His thread to allow one to try this for themselves.
Kind words from all of yall:D Im willing to help in anyway. I think I have it down to a science.. maybe I can eliminate some of the headaches I had along the way. LMK

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
I'm still dying to see the FINISHED product... mkay? :D
I hear ya Stephen! Still if you've seen it in person, even in it's work in progress state, you'd be like:jawdrop:!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Double DIN

Kind words from all of yall:D Im willing to help in anyway. I think I have it down to a science.. maybe I can eliminate some of the headaches I had along the way. LMK
Sorry to drag up an old thread, however I'm in the market to upgrade my daughters 2007 VW Beetle w/ a Double DIN APP Radio. The link to refrenced in the post above seems to be dead and no addtional threads seem to be available to the availability and progress on Double DIN such as aftermarket or DIY instructions. If you have any available info that would assist I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thanks
Curtis

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is n old thread but I'm new and wanted to share one I did a few years ago. This car wasn't mine but is the one that made me fall in love new beetles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
I know this is n old thread but I'm new and wanted to share one I did a few years ago. This car wasn't mine but is the one that made me fall in love new beetles.

CHOICE :goodjob:
Any details on how you fabbed the dash pod? Stuff like test fitting the unit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
How does this affect shifting the car? Also where are the real defogger and hazard buttons? And how difficult was it to make? Looks really good!

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
How does this affect shifting the car? Also where are the real defogger and hazard buttons? And how difficult was it to make? Looks really good!
I would think shifting would be unaffected. Even with the original center dash, the shifter doesn't reach the dash bottom.

I too am thinking about relocating the lower dash buttons- haven't decided on a spot yet.
Anyhoo, here's some pics from the link a few posts back, with relocated buttons.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would think shifting would be unaffected. Even with the original center dash, the shifter doesn't reach the dash bottom.

I too am thinking about relocating the lower dash buttons- haven't decided on a spot yet.
Anyhoo, here's some pics from the link a few posts back, with relocated buttons.
I was just asking because I have accidentally hit the hazards a few times, and this would stick out further. I really like this though!

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
I was just asking because I have accidentally hit the hazards a few times, and this would stick out further. I really like this though!
Well hmmmm. I'm gonna keep this in mind when I do my mock-up. Good to know. thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Moved the hazard and defrost buttons down to the sides of the center console Infront of the cup holders. Used abs plastic to extend the dash. We saw no effect on shifting.

·
Yay!! Finally got a Bug!!
128 Posts
Hey there!! I know I am resurrecting an old thread but I am looking to do this and have some questions . First of all I don't have a car yet but will be getting one in the spring . I am getting probably an 06 or 07 . The Pick N Pulls here (there are 2 of them in my city) each have a 2000 Beetle in them . I was thinking of going and picking up 1 or both center dash panels to do this in advance . I see the hazard warning light switch is in between the vents on the later model in the bugsgogo.com website but on the cars I have looked at here in Canada it's still below the heater controls . Any other changes I need to be aware of or can I use the earlier one on a later car?? And I will have to make all the final tweaks , adjustments , and painting after I get the car , but any words of advice are greatly welcomed!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts