NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
I don't know, about differences between the early and later dash panels (aside from sat radio "bump" , chrome ring around vent and hazard switch). If you want to start with buying a correct later year new beetle dash panel; you might try these guys, they are in canada and specialize in used vw parts:

http://canadacatalyst.ca/

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know this is n old thread but I'm new and wanted to share one I did a few years ago. This car wasn't mine but is the one that made me fall in love new beetles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is the same setup I'm doing right now. Using the factory Jetta trim ring and 2din holder.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
That is the same setup I'm doing right now. Using the factory Jetta trim ring and 2din holder.
That is outstanding!!!
what did you use to fuse the cut dash pod back together? And how did you mock up the jetta faceplate and double DIN bracket?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Wow! Nice job. What is the Jetta ring? I see it there, but what model hearts is it from?
Yes, please.
If I'd like to know what year Betts did you use. I love the look and think I'm gonna go your route.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Yay!! Finally got a Bug!!
128 Posts
I picked myself up a dash panel and a double din install kit . I am already coming up ideas on how I'm going to make this work . I think I'm going to do this slightly different from the others I have seen by leaving the mounting areas all in place and only modify the face of the panel instead of cutting the panel in half . This is going to be a several month process but I will try to post pictures of it in process from time to time . I'm not so worried about this as I only paid $10 for the panel and $18 on the install kit . If I mess it up , it's not a big loss . It's when I have to relocated the HVAC controls on the car that I'm concerned about . But that's not happening for a while .

·
Registered
6 Posts
To check if the new radio/stereo dvd fit your dashboard or not, you can take a look at the shape of the new stereo. Or you can make call the dealer when you buy the new aftermarket dvd dealer , there are many aftermarket car stereo manufacturers such as seicane. Wish you all the best.

·
Yay!! Finally got a Bug!!
128 Posts
So I wrecked the first panel trying to remove the soft touch paint on it . The Pick N Pull just got 2 more Bugs so I am going to pick one or both up . Which leads me to my next stupid question - how do you strip off that paint??

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I found acetone and a scotch-brite pad works best.
DO NOT SOAK PARTS IN THE ACETONE. Use the scotch-brute pad to dab-and-scrub. Nitrile gloves or yellow household gloves are recommended.
You can finish up by scrubbing and wipe down with isopropyl alcohol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know this is n old thread but I'm new and wanted to share one I did a few years ago. This car wasn't mine but is the one that made me fall in love new beetles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But how on earth you move the heat and fun switch down. Please send a pick of inside dash before assembly the dash back.

·
2.0L 5 Speed - MT
25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think bugsgogo.com sells the double DIN center dash pod. I believe the pic is actually for a second unit, but.... ah, here's a pic- you be the judge:D

Looks like the 98-05 model is no longer available.

They dont have the 2din pod for sale. Do you know anyone that has it?

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Just purchased a second console to see what I can mod. Thanks for knocking off the dust 👍🏻
Cool deal man. Looking forward to.your writeup.
What head unit you looking at?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 41 Posts