VW Beetle Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Did anyone ever try one of these? I'm looking for a way to add a larger screen for a backup camera. The floating display single-din units would work, but I don't like blocking the vents and heater controls...
1. you can buy the frame for $70-100 on Aliexpress by itself. Don't buy the full kit with the head unit. The frame is cool, I am so glad I got it.
2. Buy a 9" head unit that is a quality brand. I went with Joying, I recommend them. You could also get a JVC or a few others. I like having a physical volume knob.

Just make sure you don't get generic unbranded "android head unit" they do not have reverse polarity protection like all automotive equipment should, and if for whatever reason the negative and positive terminals get sparked, or you bump a wrench on the positive battery terminal, etc, you can completely fry the whole unit.

Light Vehicle Motor vehicle Black Gauge

· Registered
1 Posts
That whole situation looks pretty good.. what model is that Joying head? Also, if you ever feel like making a mold and popping copies of that TT shift boot mount situation you have there, I'd be first in line!

· Registered
160 Posts
That whole situation looks pretty good.. what model is that Joying head? Also, if you ever feel like making a mold and popping copies of that TT shift boot mount situation you have there, I'd be first in line!
This is the joying unit: https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-n...-music-stereo-with-1280-800-ultra-screen.html

And i did a how-to thread on the shift boot:

Would be pretty difficult to just make a mold of it, but I guess anything's possible.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts