VW Beetle Forum banner

Dreaded Valve Body issue - any luck working with VOA after expiration?

Tags
valve body
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  U0010002 
#1 ·
I'm a new owner of a 2006 VW Convertible bug that seems to be experiencing the known issue of problems with the valve body.

Mileage is below 100k (86k), but the extended warrantee is outside of the timeline.

Has anyone had any luck getting a little love from VW of America on extending the warrantee beyond the stated timeline?

Appreciate any feedback and stories of anyone who had luck getting VOA to show them some love!

#2 ·
VW will likely tell you to pound sand and not all transmissions has the extended warranty coverage for the valve body.

86k miles is right on the upper side of the VB problem.

If you have a 6 speed Tiptronic, they are pretty solid transmissions, but the valve body will need to be reworked. If you can DIY, expect about $700 in parts, it is a pretty straight forward job, if you can find a shop to listen and just put a rebuilt valve body in the transmission, you are looking at around $1000-$1100.

I would NOT take the car to a national chain transmission shop, you will be scared into a complete $6000 transmission overhaul.

#3 ·
I agree you probably won't have any luck with VW unless you are very good friends with the service manager. Find a independent transmission shop and see if they'll listen to what you say is wrong. If they won't don't be afraid to go to another one. I wouldn't entirely stay away from a chain shop as some are actually pretty good, but regardless, don't let them talk you into a new transmission.

#4 ·
Thanks....

Thanks for the input... I figure I won't have much luck. Also - I don't think I'd ever hit a chain transmission shop unless I had money to toss down a hole! :)

I'm currently not having any shifting issues (knock wood) so I hope it stays that way.

I do have some sort of issue going on... Which I'll describe in a new post since I don't really know if it's valve body related.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.