NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
DreamCar
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'll already started a thread upon request of Al/scarabY2k with the same name, but since there is problem with posting replies (probably my mistake:eek:) I'll try again.

I first visited the org some months ago to look for nice wheels to use on our Dreamcar. I found them thanks to Tamika with Herbie Jr (Thanks again)

As promised I posted some pictures on the Herbie Jr thread:jumpy:, but was requested to start with a special thread with are own car in subject.

Well here it is,

Our Dreamcar is a 2005 NB Convertible.

Some original specs

Aquarius blue
1.8Turbo:biglaugh:
Soft grey top (electrical)
Soft grey leather interior with sport seats
Xenon headlights
green tinted glass
VW sound kit, cruisecontrol,...

First owner was Volkswagen Wolfsburg who had it as one of there company cars for some months.

Probably this is the reason for the rather unique combination. Since this combination was not sold in Belgium, and after a search on the net I couldn't find a simular one.

I bought it second hand in March this year, in Germany, as a present for my wife who was dreaming of a Beetle Convertible since it was introduced.

Some "customisation" :

-RGB Led interior lighting
-Bootrack from Classic Carrier
-A small "Dream Car" logo in Walt Disney fonts and Mickey ears(since this matched the car and its keyhanger)
-And of course the Smoothie Rims with chrome rings and hub caps. (I had to wait for them nearly 9 weeks in total, shipped from the US)

Now here ar some first pics (some of them still with the original wheels)

Greetz from Belgium

Bart (No, not Simpson)

Attachments

·
DreamCar
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
White walls

Hi everyone,

I just did some testing with white tape on the tyres.

Let me know what you think. I would very much appreciate.

I will still have a problem to convince my wife :D

Greetz

Attachments

·
blue highways
731 Posts
Wonderful:) Love the wheels and the color-matching. Decklid (boot) racks are pretty uncommon- neat style!

·
Dumpkin
354 Posts
Nice. Love the old school flavor...wheels rack n all:bigthumb:

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Ook welkom hier :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very Nice!

Nice looking NBC ;->

And I would go with the white walls on the tyres...

rgds! Jartza / Coolbug

·
DreamCar
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all thes nice comments,

I know that whit walls will have the overhand in opinions. I bought already rubber paint from plasti-dip.

I tested it on some old tire and it looked OK.

However the bodyshop who did the rims (Ollycar)warned my that they may fade easy or become yello in stead of white.

If someone has other solutions let me know, I will be grateful.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
4,916 Posts
Thanks for all thes nice comments,

I know that whit walls will have the overhand in opinions. I bought already rubber paint from plasti-dip.

I tested it on some old tire and it looked OK.

However the bodyshop who did the rims (Ollycar)warned my that they may fade easy or become yello in stead of white.

If someone has other solutions let me know, I will be grateful.
Hey Bart. As you noticed, the majority if not all posts were a "yes" for the wide whitewall. I have to agree with the body shop too, that the rubber paint will make your life miserable. Don't ask how I know :p You don't want to use the wide white inserts either. They fit between the wheel rim and tire but never lay flat against the sidewall to pass for a real whitewall. The upside is, virtually all manufacturers of wide whitewall tires use an anti yellowing compound in the makeup of the whitewall. I've used them on virtually every vintage or retro restoration.

·
DreamCar
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Gary, thanks for the info.

I already searched a lot on the net to look for a good solution. I found the US based company Plasti Dip and I have already 3 aerosols at home. However as you say I want to be sure that it will stay white.
I send another mail to them, to ask for their opinion.

Did you already use plasti dip ? It seems to be a great product. Nothing comparable with what we have in Europe.

Bart

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
4,916 Posts
Hi Gary, thanks for the info.

I already searched a lot on the net to look for a good solution. I found the US based company Plasti Dip and I have already 3 aerosols at home. However as you say I want to be sure that it will stay white.
I send another mail to them, to ask for their opinion.

Did you already use plasti dip ? It seems to be a great product. Nothing comparable with what we have in Europe.

Bart
Never plasti dip, but simply white rubber paint. I also use a product called "bleechwhite" sold in automotive stores for keeping white walls and white lettered tires looking new. The tires on your rims look fairly new so it may be best to use an alternative product for whiting and plan for a set of wide whitewalls down the road. When you do it, you'll want a good 2.5 to 3" wide whitewall for the true vintage effect. It's gonna be cool:)

·
DreamCar
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm continiously breaking my head over if we should go for white walls or not:eyecrazy::conehead:

So I did another try out, but now with wider walls (from the rim)Realy fat ones:D

One good thing, my wife begins to like it :p

so again some pics.

Attachments

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
4,916 Posts
I'm continiously breaking my head over if we should go for white walls or not:eyecrazy::conehead:

So I did another try out, but now with wider walls (from the rim)Realy fat ones:D

One good thing, my wife begins to like it :p

so again some pics.
Hi Gary, I think that's what you mean by 3"
That's exactly what I'm talking about:D Possibly 10MM less close (slightly narrower) to the tread portion. Big:goodjob:

With your permission, I'll post a pic of the width I mean. Then I'd be happy to edit the post and delete that picture.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
That's exactly what I'm talking about:D Possibly 10MM less close (slightly narrower) to the tread portion. Big:goodjob:

With your permission, I'll post a pic of the width I mean. Then I'd be happy to edit the post and delete that picture.
:cool::cool::cool: :D You are going to like what Gary comes up with. Trust me. :wink2:

You guys should do Herbie's wheels. :cool:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts