NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an airbag light on my 2001 Beetle. I found this part number from ECS 1Y1858471GFCN. But from what I can see this is for 02+. Does anybody know if this will work for me or know the correct part number I need. I would really hate to go through VW since the parts are very expensive here in Germany.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You could just try disconnecting the buckle sensor at its connection to the wiring harness. Somebody cut the wires to mine and I don't have any ABS warning light. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the way my '99 operates compared to the '01.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Iggy is an '01. Someone cut the wires to her drivers side seat belt buckle. No light on for it.

Have you had the light reset? I had one that was for passenger belt. Mechanic reset it and it hasn't come back since.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
buckle wires

Maybe this can help, Information on the wire harness under the seats;

On the driver's side the Brown Green is just a switch, shorted with the buckle out and open with the buckle in.
Blue-Yellow is a switch with resistors, 1.66kΩ with the buckle out and .47kΩ with the buckle in.

The passenger side only has the Blue-Yellow is a switch with resistors, 1.66kΩ with the buckle out and .47kΩ with the buckle in.

If you put a resistor.

then use a VAC-COM pc to reset the light.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Someone has a thread here on fixing that wiring. Works at a dealership. Said it was common problem so much that the fix instructions he gave were posted on the shop bulletin board. I don't know if I could find it again. Def would need to be on my laptop to do it. I found it just searching about airbag light and seat belts.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have an airbag light on my 2001 Beetle. I found this part number from ECS 1Y1858471GFCN. But from what I can see this is for 02+. Does anybody know if this will work for me or know the correct part number I need. I would really hate to go through VW since the parts are very expensive here in Germany.

Thanks
To get back to your original question, why don't you take a look under the driver's seat and see if you have 4 wires at the seat buckle connector? If so, that ECS part should work.

My '99 has just 2 wires going to the buckle. The passenger side doesn't have a sensor at all. The wiring diagram shows that buckle sensors are not used as inputs to the airbag control module. So if your '01 is like my '99, then the problem with your airbags lies somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I was trying to address the original problem, honest ;). Post I was thinking of was fixing airbag light due to wire harness issues under seats causing airbag system to see a fault. It was an easy fix with good pics. If I'm ever home to look for it ill try to find and link.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
seat belt buckle

I thought he knew for sure it was his buckle cause he was asking if the part number would fit his year model car. If you disconnect the wiring connector under the seat and do those measurements like I specify you can also tell for sure if it's the buckle wiring or the problem somewhere's else. Good luck man.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So on my '00, the brown and yellow wires going from the seat to the buckle do not have anything to do with the airbag light being on?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts