VW Beetle Forum banner

Driver side door panel loose

Tags
door panel
5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sterlingzinc 
#1 ·
Closing the driver side door on my '06 NBC last week it came loose all along the bottom. Just wondering if this is something that I can tackle to fix or is it going to mean another expensive trip to the dealer?

#3 ·
From what I remember, from taking ours apart to replace broken window regulators, there are three screws at the bottom of the door. It could be that whatever they screw into is messed up. Ours weren't holding well on one door, so whoever worked on it last used some sort of really black sticky stuff on the screws to keep them from falling out. Not the best solution, but it seems to have worked. It just makes getting the screws out a pain since they stick when you try to unscrew them.

You should be able to buy new screws, and possibly the parts they screw into, at the parts counter of your local VW dealer.

If it were me, I'd lay down on the ground and visually inspect the bottom of the door, looking for the screws to see if they're even on the door. They could have been pulled loose and fallen out. Use the "good" door on your car as a reference. Both doors are assembled the same way.

#4 ·
Same Issue - Plastic Cracked.

I have the same issue as Jeff2. And looked under the door and checked to see that all three screws have cracked the plastic they were attached to.

And to add insult to injury the plastic tubes that hold the two screws into the door panel itself (behind the door handle) have also cracked.

So now the only thing holding the panel on is the lip at the top of the door by the window.

Looking at two options.

1. Replacement of the whole door panel.

The other is this.

Metal Reinforced Door Panel Handle VW Beetle Repair Kit Front Right Cream Beige | eBay

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Option one covers the bases if I can find one. Option two is a fix - but does not resolve the bottom three screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.