NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2002 new beetle. I have not had many issues with it except for a year ago when the drivers side window started malfunctioning. It was during the winter so I didn't worry too much about it because once it warmed up it went away.

Well, now it is back and much more worse. It will go days working fine, but then it won't work at all for days. What happens is I roll the window down and I go to roll the window up, it rolls up slower than usual, and then stops at a certain point which is usually 1/2 to 3/4 way up. If I push for it to go up anymore, it rolls back down quickly. Sometimes it just takes a few tries to go back up and other times it takes an entire day. :(

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it may be and also if there is anything I can do to make it stop. Anything is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does it make a sound? You might have a problem with your window regulator. Dealer will charge you 400 you can do it for 60. It is a very tedious job, you need to have patience and time. This is for a 2.0 driver's side: Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Window > ES#1892359 Power Window Regulator Repair Kit - Driver's Side - 1CM898655

And this is how you take apart the door: http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/35527-how-door-panel-window-regulator-door-latch-removal.html

Be careful when doing it and good luck :D:D:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 Driver-side Window Problem

Experiencing the same problem with a 2002 Beetle. Driver-side power window won't roll up. First instance of this was the first cold front of the season. Repeated on other cold days.

FIX: removed switch by pulling it out of the door panel. Used hair dryer to force warm air into the door panel. Waited ten minutes and the window rolled back up. Put the switch back into the door panel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine is doing this- it made a crazy noise one morning as hubby was trying to roll it down after our first freeze of the season. But it rolled back up fine.

A few days later in a drive-thru, I pushed button to roll window up and it would go halfway, sounded like gravel, then rolled back down. It continues to do that. We pulled the window up in place by hand. And now I'm on here reading for a fix!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had an issue with the window regulator too...The passenger window had been going slow and sticking for a while, and I had been ignoring it...Then halfway through an 8 hour trip the window made a grinding sound, stopped half-way up and wouldn't budge. The sky was black and rain was imminent so I did not want to be on the highway with my window halfway up. GPS located the nearest dealership and was told they were too busy to help me!! Ended up finding a local window place who got it up for me (and didn't even charge me anything). Then after I got to my destination I got it fixed at VW there. Point of the story is to fix it as early as you can so your not on an 8 hour trip in a thunderstorm with your window halfway down trying to find someone to help you!

Now my driver window is starting to do that, esp. on the really cold days and I am not going to ignore it!

I'm glad I came on here as I am going to try doing the driver one myself and was looking for instruction!

·
Is it May yet? :D
110 Posts
I have had the problem with BOTH of my bugs, a 99 and an 03. Nice to see ways to fix it! Because it's definitely a pain if I have to roll my window down on a cold morning!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had this happen in my 2005 bug several times. Took it to the dealer had it replaced under warranty twice. The third time it started, (after warranty expired) my husband fixed it by spraying silicone lubricant into the window rail. He rolled the window all the way down, sprayed it in, and rolled it up/down several times. Never had another problem. You can get the silicone spray at an auto store for about five bucks. It's worth trying before replacing the regulator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much!! I had the same issue 3/4 way up and would roll back down, sometimes it work after sitting. I sprayed a bunch of WD40 silicone in the sill and it now works fine. There is a bit of the stuff on the window too...but I'll just keep cleaning it. At least it works!!!

I had this happen in my 2005 bug several times. Took it to the dealer had it replaced under warranty twice. The third time it started, (after warranty expired) my husband fixed it by spraying silicone lubricant into the window rail. He rolled the window all the way down, sprayed it in, and rolled it up/down several times. Never had another problem. You can get the silicone spray at an auto store for about five bucks. It's worth trying before replacing the regulator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts