NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 VW Beetle Conv. Recently the driver side window does not want to go back up once I put it down. About half way it makes a grinding sound. It will go back up about half way from being all the way down but that is about it. I can close the door and it will go back up with a little assistance. I know these cars have issues with the cables. I guess my question is does it sound like the cable is about to go or does it sound like a regulator issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok let me clarify a few things. Window will go down about haf way and back up with no problems. When opening the door the window does come down as it should and then back up when closed. Its just when the window is lowered say more than half way I get a grinding noise. I have seen a number of regulator repair kits for this model ...is that what I should be looking for? Just to me it sounds like the cables are stressing and making noise.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Unfortunately on the NBC, once you take the inside door cover off, you're confronted with a metal inner cover, so it's nearly impossible to see what's going on while operating the window. I think the best you'll be able to do is open up that metal inner cover and inspect the cable, which is part of the regulator, for damage.

There are guides online which show you how to do replace the cable. I've done this for both the front windows in our '05 NBC. The hardest part is getting the cable onto the big pulleys (you'll see what I mean when you read one of the guides).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately on the NBC, once you take the inside door cover off, you're confronted with a metal inner cover, so it's nearly impossible to see what's going on while operating the window. I think the best you'll be able to do is open up that metal inner cover and inspect the cable, which is part of the regulator, for damage.

There are guides online which show you how to do replace the cable. I've done this for both the front windows in our '05 NBC. The hardest part is getting the cable onto the big pulleys (you'll see what I mean when you read one of the guides).
What did you use for a search query to find the online guides you are talking about...Thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The good news is on the convertible the window motor can be unbolted from the inner metal panel and you can then see what is going on inside the door.

Luckily I have never had to remove the glass or replace the regulator on my car, but I have had the doors open MANY times for door latches and vibrations due to the Monsoon speaker bass!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts