NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter was given a 2004 VW Beetle Convertible from my sister. I am very thankful but I think she also gave me her problems she was having with it. She told me she had been having problems with the window and the top. I took everything apart and made sure all the wires were plugged in. I checked all the fuses I new to check and everything seemed fine. when I got the car the window was down and would not come up. I tried to temp fix the problem and take off the motor and manually lift the window, only problem was when I plugged the window motor back in the motor automatically rolled the window back down. lifted the motor again and thought I just would not plug the motor in but then I could not lock or unlock the door. during this whole time I still have not been able to lower the top. I can live without the top but I eventually would like to roll the window up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The window motor module has the electronics needed for the lock module. Unfortunately, the window on these cars goes into a channel on the convertible top, so the window drops about an inch or so when the door opens and closes. So I fear leaving the motor disconnected still wouldn't have been a good option.

If the window immediately went down, could the window switch be broken and stuck in the "down" position (at least electrically)? I'd check that first.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how I'd go about diagnosing this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff2. I will try to raise the window back up and plug in the motor without the switch plugged in and see if that works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok I finally got the window up, now I cant get it to work. I'm pretty sure I need a new drivers side window motor but finding one is not easy or cheap. Does anyone know if the functionality of the convertible top is affected by the front, left window motor. The top will not go back. the prior own said the window motor went bad when he was putting the top back. I will not know until I get a new window motor.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
For the top to drop, the windows have to partially open, if the Convenience/Top module does not detect the windows drop, then the top will not work.

You can look for a used, junkyard or "rebuilt" motor. But you could have a motor problem or a Convenience Module problem???

·
Registered
754 Posts
Unfortunately the driver's window motor has a lot of electronics inside it besides the motor. They aren't cheap. At this point, you might want to have it scanned with a VW specific (VAG) scanner to help determine where the fault is. Like jfoj said, it might be the Convenience Module, not the motor and its electronics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts