NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just introduced myself on the new members forum and have many questions about many things. My wife has an '02 Beetle which she has owned since new. She loves it but it is beginning to show its age and if I don't get on some repairs she will fall out of love with it.

So, if you don't mind, let me start with the oddest one. This summer she was stopped down the street, opened the door and a cyclist hit the open door at a pretty good clip. No one injured thankfully but it scratched the inside of the door and broke the knob off the mirror adjustment switch. However, the impact seems to have pushed the door forward slightly. When we open it we hear a scraping noise where it is contacting the back of the fender and there is noticeably more road noise coming from the back of the door.

Is this repairable? and if so, by me?

advice gratefully received.

thanks all
JP

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Hi there, just introduced myself on the new members forum and have many questions about many things. My wife has an '02 Beetle which she has owned since new. She loves it but it is beginning to show its age and if I don't get on some repairs she will fall out of love with it.

So, if you don't mind, let me start with the oddest one. This summer she was stopped down the street, opened the door and a cyclist hit the open door at a pretty good clip. No one injured thankfully but it scratched the inside of the door and broke the knob off the mirror adjustment switch. However, the impact seems to have pushed the door forward slightly. When we open it we hear a scraping noise where it is contacting the back of the fender and there is noticeably more road noise coming from the back of the door.

Is this repairable? and if so, by me?

advice gratefully received.

thanks all
JP
Without seeing the door that is a bit tough to say for sure. I can tell you that bodyshops and some dealers have a tool that fits between the latch and the door striker. It kind of closes between them and let's you bend things back into place. It may or not work for your door. They may sell them at harbor freight or a body supply store.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really good to listen that no one injured... BTW, if you would post the pics of the car it will be helpful to suggest you the right way.
I could post a pic but honestly there is nothing to see - It looks completely normal. I suspect it only moved a fraction of an inch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts