NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for days now. I need some help! My door lock on the drivers side kept popping out whenever I'd shut the door. I'd push it back in. Well, you guessed it. One day it was gone! All that is left is the handle. The strange thing is that the handle is not setting tight against the door now. I was afraid of losing it too so I un-attached the cable and took it off. Is there suppose to be something holding that handle on? The front end, opposite of where door lock was, there was nothing holding on. Once I unhooked that cable it just easily came off the door. Did what ever was holding the handle on, fall inside the door?? Help!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody knows what, if there is something that holds the front of the handle on? Is there something that dropped off???

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assume you are talking about the exterior door handle?

As I recall, once the lock cylinder is out, the handle has no hardware. It slips forward and there are some small hooks that grab the door sheet metal. Once the lock cylinder is out, if you slide the door handle toward the rear of the car it will come off the door.

There is also a funny box shaped bracket on the inside of the door that grabbed the door lock cylinder. There is only 1 small triple square head screw that holds the lock cylinder in the door.

You can purchase a replacement lock cylinder from the dealer that will match you current key. The problem is the colored cover, you can buy it, but you it will likely be black or primed and need to be painted to match you cars color.

Should have put blue tape on the lock cylinder until you could figured out how to get the lock cylinder mounted correctly again.

Sorry to hear about this, will not be cheap, likely about $75 for the lock cylinder??

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yes, there is 1 small screw in the door jam above the 3 door latch screws that tightens the box bracket, it is a yellow/clear piece that then grabs the lock cylinder and keeps it in the door handle and keeps the handle from shifting and it all stays on the door. A rather ingenious little design, but if something breaks, you will have problems.

Also everything needs to be situated inside the door properly, otherwise things will bind and the box shaped bracket can actually hit the window, at least on the convertible it could.

You may have to open the door panel to straighten everything out if the box bracket is broken or fell into the door?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was afraid that I was going to have to pull the door panel. Out of all the videos I've watched on youtube about this, not one said anything about any bracket that holds the lock in place. Sure glad you did. I found one on Ebay, just waiting to hear from them if they have the bracket too.
thanks again, you've been a great help....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts