NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i need to know what to get fixed on phoebe, when opening the driver door the lights don't come on, the driver door wont lock when pushing the button on the door, i have to lock the driver side with the key, the remote docent work "has new battery" docent ding when door is open. there's no light in he hole on he drivers side, i came with the car in he pocket., any help?

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
latch. search: micro switch or door latch.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Its just one thing to fix or replace. Just the microswitch in the door. Take a read through those threads. You can fix it cheaply or buy the entire module.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
As a former NB owner who performed both those procedures, I can tell you both were moderately difficult, and I consider myself mechanically inclined.

To get the latch replaced at the stealership will run you close to (or maybe even more at this point in time)$300-350 for the part and labor. Circa 2004 the latch assembly was $145.00.

I did the micro-switch procedure first. It didn't take me more than a few hours, and it actually worked very well for about a year. When I took the door apart for the second time, I decided to go and replace the entire latch.

If you want to attempt this yourself and are not sure what to do, PM me and I will walk you through it to the best of my recollection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having similar problems on my 2001 but I am also having issues with the windows.

I too have no control over either driver side or passenger side locks with switches on driver side. The dome lights do not come on when driver side is open. However The driver side window switches do not operate windows either. Passenger side does control passenger side windows/locks, etc. trunk switch and fuel door switch still work and the window will roll down using key in door lock method.

My thoughts are driver side door control module?

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
The most likely candidate for the problems you are seeing with the door (not sure about the window) is a small switch inside the door latch. It's about the size of a large jelly bean. It senses the door position, whether it's open or shut. If it fails, it usually only fails partially, in that it will sometimes work correctly, but mostly it won't. The dome light not coming on _ door thinks it's shut, even thought it's open.

You can successfully replace that switch for about 3-4 bucks. It is a bit involved and requires the use of a dremel or similar tool.

The windows.. you may be able to correct that one when you take apart the door to fix the latch. Maybe a wire came loose? Hard to tell without a look-see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts