NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi beetle community, I feel a bit cheeky this being my first post and asking for help but this is driving me mad. I read on here that someone years ago had the smae problem but didn't say if it was ever resolved. So, as the title says, both the drivers door lock and mirror no longer work, I can't say for sure if they failed at the same time but it was certainly within a day or so. All other switches on the drivers door work fine (windows, fuel cap) and the mirror switch still operates the passenger side mirror (albeit in reverse now..?) and also the passenger door lock. So far I've replaced the power lock mechanism with a brand new unit, this acheived nothing so I left it in. Then I replaced the Window Regulator/control module with a "working" unit from a breakers yard, all this acheived was the drivers one-touch window feature no longer working and also the auto-drop for when the door is opened (although the window did go up and down when the button was pressed. So I put the original unit back in and went back to square one. This morning I took apart the wing mirror to see if there was a broken wire/connection but all looked ok. There's continuity from the green plug inside the door card all the way up to the motors but I'm unable to test for power at the motor end. Are the small motors prone to failing? If so, would this cause the other problems I'm experiencing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The car is a R/H/D 2004 convertible beetle UK (non-power roof).

Cheers,
Graham

·
Registered
71 Posts
When checking continuity of the switch did you have it in the driver lock and driver mirror side in the position is isn't working? There could be open if you forgot to place it in that position. Nothing lasts forever so the motor could be bad. Whenever we use switches they cause little arcs and it is possible your contact points are not longer making a connection. Don't press too hard but harder the it would normally sit when switched to the spot to see if you can get anything from it. Here are two diagrams of the switches. Hopefully the convertible isn't too different of an animal to this diagram.
00DAEDFE-4CCC-4A42-B2D9-C11D4EE96C87.jpeg
599A7BB9-C89C-4CD5-ADF3-1548474B490A.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem for my beetle convertible 2003 and I haven't figured it out until now. The door lock isn't working from key remote, but is working manually with the key. (the passenger side door lock is working fine). The side mirror is working fine for the passenger side, but when I move the knob of the switch to driver side, it is moving the passenger side mirror o_O (very strange).

I've bought the car 2 years ago with this problem and a broken door hinge of the driver side (the metal part that cushions the door). Because of the broken door hinge I thought the problem was because of some broken cables in the area the door is connected to the chassis. For this I took the car at the 1st auto electrician that found some broken cables in the area and fixed them, but the door lock and side mirror had the same problem. He told me that the door lock mechanism and side mirror switch are bad and need to be replaced. Bought new parts and the 2nd auto electrician I went installed them, but did not fixed the problem. He checked all the wirings in the door but didn't found any problem. He told me that probably the door control module (the black part from the photo attached) is bad and I should replace it. Had a hard time finding one used (the new part was very expensive), but succeeded in the end. Installed it, but no luck, the same problems existed. (luckily I was able to return the part and get back the money). At that time because of the way the side mirror was acting I thought that somewhere some cables weren't fixed well. So together with a neighbor electronist we checked the wiring in the door (everything ok), dismantled the side mirror motor of the driver side and switched it with the passenger side, but both worked well. So again a dead end. We couldn't check the wiring from the area the door is connected to the chassis, so it could have been a possibility that the problem was from there. But now, after reading your post I'm almost sure the problem is from somewhere else and I would be grateful to the person that could help us with this mysterious problem.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
Dead components, inside doors; are a common problem, around here. The main issues we see are: incorrect parts being installed (different years; not being compatible), failed parts and wiring harness failure, typically in the area from the body to the door (encased in the ribbed rubber sheath).

Because of cost and the age of these cars; previous owners, many times, will install used parts from a junk yard or similar parts from a different car. This can cause, a partial failure of the functionality of the door; this will typically, kill the bus and it will go into "single wire mode" (e.g. data goes one way but not back to the control module, killing functionality).

So, visual inspection of the harness, along with continuity checks and voltage checks, are recommended. Along with the harness issues; each part in the door, should be confirmed, it is for the correct year and model. VW made many "running changes" and while the parts will fit, look the same, they may not work!

In the convertible models, the window motors in particular are expensive; so, we see used parts installed and many are incorrect part #'s and from a different years, which can cause operational problems.

One clue, of possible incorrect parts installed; is the mirror switch, which you said was controlling the incorrect side. There are other VW's that had similar mirror switches; some had the heating element control installed and some didn't, this part maybe incorrect or something like the controller, harness are damaged, etc. We have even seen, where a different wiring harness was installed from a different year and the pinouts, were totally different and that is why things didn't work (maybe why your mirrors are controlled incorrectly; maybe the mirror switch is the incorrect part #, etc).

A inspection of the parts, may reveal the problem; we are seeing cheap non oem chinese parts floating around, which may not work correctly, used parts, etc. Look for yellow markings on the various parts, indicating the marks are from used parts sources, from a junkyard/breakers, confirm part #'s are correct with VW's parts site, look for production dates, that are close to the original production date of the car, etc. and see if the vw/audi logo are on the parts, indicating a genuine vw part, etc. with normal production sources.

Parts, may have been replaced over the years; so, have a later production date but obviously, if you find a used part, that has a production date, earlier, then the date of the car, then you most likely have a incompatible part.

So, allot can be ascertained, from visual inspections of the parts and wiring harness, along with multimeter testing.

Aside, from that, having a vw factory level scan tool; can be helpful, by doing output testing, confirming the data bus is working and seeing, if there are any related factory vw trouble codes (a data bus, that isn't working; will typically throw a code and a bad window switch, will also tend to throw a code).

This can be a challenge to fix these issues; you are not along in this struggle but we have had many successful repairs, which tend to be incompatible (wrong) parts installed, failed parts or wiring harness damage. Each situation can be different but these are the typical things, we have seen on this site, over the years. Hope this helps and let us know, the results of your parts inspection, wiring inspection/testing and troubleshooting process. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
The photo, you attached at the bottom; is the window motor, is this a replacement part? I would confirm, it is the right part; I am seeing, "A4 Golf" imprinted on the label but I am not seeing the whole part #. I believe, the convertible new beetle window motors are unique and not the same as other cars, (that is why they are so expensive from the vw dealer). I would make sure the model # of the part; is correct. You could check with your local vw dealer or use vw's parts site or ekta, online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for the comprehensive answer from the first reply.

I've checked again with VCDS and found the following errors (attached). What is strange is the errors didn't appeared during auto-scan, but afterwards when I checked individually the respective control. I've erased the errors and didn't appeared back during scanning again that time. I haven't went out with the car since the scan yet to see if the errors will appear again. What is certain is that the problem still exists. I will take the car to a ride next days.

Regarding your second reply, the photo I attached I saved it from web, it's not he one installed on the car. I know the convertible window motor is unique and had a hard time finding one used (new is very expensive, I confirm).

I have a question, after a recent discussion with an mechanic regarding the way the mirrors are acting. He told me that when the left mirror is adjusted, the right one is adjusting automatically (this being a standard feature if the car should have been used by multiple drivers). Could you confirm this is true ? If this is true, then I could partially eliminate the possibility that there could be some broken wiring in the area the door is connected to the chassis. And I need to focus again in the wiring area between the control module (window motor) and the parts. But first I will check if the correct parts are installed on the car (thank you the link provided), despite the fact that replacement new parts I've bought (door lock and side mirror) where bought based on VIN and should have been ok, but didn't fixed the problem (I mention that the new parts where not VW original).

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
The above code definition; reiterate, all of the issues we have seen, wiring problems, incorrect parts or bad modules. More testing is required; again, we have seen the ise if aftermarket replacement parts, cause problems, so you might swap back in the old original vw parts back in, to see if the issues or trouble codes go away.

As to the auto mirror feature; as far as i have seen, all the side mirrors i have used were manually adjusted (with power adjustment feature/knob) and i haven't noted a "auto" feature (aside from some rear view mirrors; that had a auto dim sensor, flip to dim mode). Maybe other can chime in; if they have seen a auto mode i haven't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The above code definition; reiterate, all of the issues we have seen, wiring problems, incorrect parts or bad modules. More testing is required; again, we have seen the ise if aftermarket replacement parts, cause problems, so you might swap back in the old original vw parts back in, to see if the issues or trouble codes go away.
The initial parts are installed now in the door, not the new aftermarket replacement parts. Because the aftermarket parts didn't fixed anything I preferred to have the initial ones back. But because I'm the owner of the car since 3 years ago, I don't know if the initial parts are VW original (I didn't paid attention to this when they were removed). My conclusion is that because the initial and the new aftermarket parts had the same behavior then the problem should be from the wiring/connectors/voltages.

As to the auto mirror feature; as far as i have seen, all the side mirrors i have used were manually adjusted (with power adjustment feature/knob) and i haven't noted a "auto" feature (aside from some rear view mirrors; that had a auto dim sensor, flip to dim mode). Maybe other can chime in; if they have seen a auto mode i haven't.
So, if this feature wasn't standard, then I should check the wiring in the area the door is connected to the chassis.

Thank you

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
Yeah, well... until you visually inspect, troubleshoot and testing things, we can only refer to the common issues we have seen in the past (the odds are; you may have a similar problem but you never know). Let us know, the results of your testing; hopefully, through a process of elimination, you can find the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts