VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem I'm having with my '00 Beetle:

* Driver's door does not lock/unlock with remote or door control.
* Driver's window does not roll up or down.
* Cannot control passenger window from driver's door control.
* Interior lights to not come on with driver door open.
* "Lights on" chime does not work with driver door open.

If I disconnect the battery and reconnect, the driver's window operates normally for about 5-10 minutes.

Maybe related, or maybe not: rear hatch does not open with remote or driver's door button. You can hear a relay click, but it does not open.

The remote will activate/deactivate the alarm, and lock/unlock the passenger door. The passenger window works fine but only with the control on the passenger door.

I've googled this and have found at least one person with very similar issues. They installed a new power window module, but it did not help. Unfortunately, they never posted their final solution.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
When everything dies in the door; typically, it is wires in door wiring harness that break. Check the harness section; that encased in the rubber ribbed sheath and repair any that are broken.

Another problem is the door lock
module; the microswitches die and the solder joints crack.

Aside from that; people have found used parts that were installed; from another year car that were incompatible and don't work.

Lastly, a failed comfort control module can die and things stop working as they should.

Here are some threads that should help you disassemble the door and find the problem:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php#/forumsite/21302/topics/1542461?page=1

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...iy.html#/forumsite/20963/topics/109049?page=1

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would agree that the wiring harness would be my logical first suspect, but the fact that EVERY SINGLE TIME I disconnect the battery, the window will work for 5-10 minutes tells me it's not a random intermittent wire problem. This absolutely smacks of a computer issue. I will investigate the comfort control module.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
A faulty Door Lock Control Module can produce the same results, when communication between it, the CCM and the main computer is intermittent. When the DLCM solder lines crack, that causes intermittent comm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but it's not intermittent. It's very consistent and predictable: disconnect the battery and it works for 5-10 minutes.

I'm going to replace the wiring harness and the comfort control module. If that doesn't work, I'll suck it up and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There have been several others that have had the "works 10 minutes" problem. Look through the links here:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...-beetle/123954-window-electrical-problem.html

People don't report back what solved their problem, so it is not clear from previous posts what the solution is. It seems to be either the wire harness or door controller. Many have had wires break inside the rubber boot between the door and the door frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts