VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm a new owner of a 98 vw beetle. I've had the thing for two weeks and its been the biggest nightmare. The drivers door stopped opening and lock cylinder slides out. The same thing sometimes happens on the passenger door. I took the whole thing apart there seems to be a spring that fits into a hook on the latch mechanism. When the handle is pulled it pulls a cable which pulls the hook but the way its designed if you pull the cable too much it moves the hook far enough that the spring slides out of the little hook. Bad design? Also the lock cylinder seems to be held in simply by a screw in the door pressing against it? When I tighten that screw the door handle binds. Then problem is that the P/O installed speakers and ive no idea what all was ruined in doing that. It seems with my searches a lot of these locks fail. Butnit seems a lot more alarm issues than latch. Is the lock mechanical or also run by these micro switches? Please if anyone could shed some light or point me to where this has been previously answered that would be great.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply. are you referring to this clip

when i pull on the cable the spring slides out of that little jaw

when i put the thing together this is confirmed because i heard the ring SNAP the first time i pulled on the handle. you're saying this is normal way it works to reset it?

that being said when i made the cable tighter and put it back together it worked a few times and then it stopped working for no reason once i drove around...

i read somewhere else that this is because the cable is too tight and causing the latch to not reset. im gonna try loosening it again

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
That is the spring that I was talking about. The lever (1) should be under spring tension trying to move it opposite of the direction of the arrow. Engaging the clip prevents it from being pulled all the way back toward the latch. When the clip is engaged the lever should be firmly held in one place. (At least, that is how I remember it.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So perhaps this is the doors problem? The design is such that when the handle is pulled out too far the spring just slides out never to return. Is my spring worn out? When I was looking at it before I couldn't find a way to lash it or bar it from sliding out... is there anyone who has taken these apart? I come from motorcycles where everyone repairs everything. With cars it seems people just replace and throw away

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so looking at them on ebay here you go

none of these have the spring engaged in that little jaw... what is the point of the jaw? maybe im mistaking this for the problem...

there has to be an easy way to fix this, we've been making doors for years...

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The little spring is used as an installation aid only. You engage it before installing the latch. It then allows the latch to be in the right position relative to the handle when you insert the little rubber nubby to the handle. The first time you pull the latch the spring disengages again, but the latch is properly adjusted and the spring has done its job. The only time the spring should be engaged is between the time the latch is installed and the next time the handle is pulled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts