NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Christina
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long story short, my driver's headlight cover (plastic i believe it is?) fell off. Looks like it might have been a previous "Mickey Mouse job" done before. Anyway, does anyone know where i can purchase just the lens cover? Or do i have to replace the whole headlight??? I went to Germanautoparts.com but i could only find the whole headlight for like $215. Any ideas please? Thanks!

·
Kaylee Bug
366 Posts
I dont think you can buy just the "lens". I lost the lens off of my little blinker/marker that is under the drivers side mirror & VW only sells the entire light assembly for $45 (well actually it was already gone when I bought the car. Still lights up but I am sure some day it will cause some kind of issue.)

·
Registered
708 Posts
You can just purchase the lens from the dealer, but costly. You can also purchase both headlight assemblies off of eBay around $150. Or I have my old ones if you want it. I'll never do anything with them. Just PM me. You just pay for the shipping.

·
Christina
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A silly question, but if i replace just the lens, can is it more likely to fall off again? I'm not very certain but this happened after my car went through a car wash. Perhaps the heat or whatever they used caused it to crack. Because the glue where you can see the lens would be in place looked melted.

·
I love my Butterkup baby!
489 Posts
Same thing happened to me in July!! I didn't see it fly off or anything, just parked and got out & it was gone :confused: I went to the dealer & had just the lens replaced, but it was costly for just a lens. Can't rememeber the exact price, but I needed it fixed ASAP.

·
Christina
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I didn't see mine fly off either, just gone :(. I really don't like the dealer in my area, i havnt had the best experience with them.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
2001 and older,part numbers:
1C0 941 115 = left lens
1C0 941 116 = right lens

2002 to 2005, part numbers:
1C0 941 115 B = left lens
1C0 941 116 B = right lens

I'm to lazy to verify these part numbers. Anyone else want to pick the slack?
Interesting

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
A silly question, but if i replace just the lens, can is it more likely to fall off again? I'm not very certain but this happened after my car went through a car wash. Perhaps the heat or whatever they used caused it to crack. Because the glue where you can see the lens would be in place looked melted.
Check the plastic clips aren't snapped off. It's not just glue that holds them in place ;)

·
Banned
21 Posts
The gasket between the lens headlight cover and the head light unit may not be put together correctly preventing the lens from snapping back on completely. If this gasket is damaged, replace it with a VW replacement.

·
aka the Volkswagen Fairy
210 Posts
don't sweat it

I had to wait till I had the money to replace my headlight. In the meantime, I cut open a ziploc bag and attached it with body trim stickum. Only had to replace it once or twice in the better part of a year. Also, check when you are ordering if they include a bulb. Cause if not, you have to take it apart to install it, and it was a hassle for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts