VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 NB GLX Turbo -

Are there any circuits for the brake/running light that are not in the fusebox inside the driver door of the cabin? If so, I have not found them or checked them.

Checked the fuses, all fine. Checked and even changed bulbs, all fine, three bulbs. Filaments in place and working for each one. Swapped fuses left to right side, still left (driver) side not working... brake and running lights (lights on no brake action) does not work on driver side. Turn signal in the same housing DOES work.

The other side is fine - all the above works, turn, brake and regular running lights.

Mr. Mechanical I am not, but I should be able to figure this out...

I have read about the brake light switch under the pedal in the cabin and also about switching out the socket that the light bulb hooks into...

Any ideas folks?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Pop the lens out and wiggle the bulb to see if you can get it lit. These are known for being a little loose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake light - not loose

I have jiggled the bulb. I have done everything. If the brake light switch, under the pedal is bad, can only one side go bad? So if the left side of that switch is bad, making the light go out? Because, the turn signal in that housing works... and the side marker light on the bottom rear left is also out I noticed...

I am so freaked out because I will be stopped any day now for a burned out tail light... I guess I am going to have to take it in to the dreaded dealer to get it fixed....

:(

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved!

I fixed it. I am very proud of myself, even if the dealer raped me of a "genuine" VW part. I put a new socket on and it worked. Just took the old one out, kept the same bulb, plugged in the wiring and it worked! The dern part was $30 - yeah - just for the 3 pin socket... but it was worth it... All the trouble I went to...who would have thought. The dealer wanted $95 to fix it, that is over and above the "plug into the computer to check it out" fee.

Thanks everyone! I love this forum!
:D

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Well done.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Lens Removal

The lens just pops out? I have a rapidly flashing left turn signal and the Haynes manual said one of the bulbs was bad and sure enough, I checked to find the left rear bulb out. I'll see if I can "pop" it out like you did.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Dvom

I used the Ohms setting on my Radio Shack digital multimeter to check the continuity of the bulb and it showed the bulb was good with a 0 Ohms reading so I reinstalled it and it now flashes correctly.

What luck :cool::rolleyes:

·
New Owner: 2001 GLX Turbo
32 Posts
This project is finally complete

I finally got this fixed. After the socket blew out after less than a day, I took it to a mechanic. They said nothing was wrong, replaced the bulb and did not charge me much, like $35, but it was fixed. I picked it up, my wife trailing me in her car, she called and said the light was out... I took the car back... The mechanic replaced the bulb and put some silicone grease that is conductive, to tighten the bulb in the socket, and its fixed. Those bulbs are the loosest I have ever seen. Its like the socket is not tight or deep enough. Glad to have this fixed, now I have a bump and rattle in the back, I must find it or go crazy. Plus I dropped that nut that holds the tail light inside the trim, I cannot find or get it... it may be the rattle maker... any idea if I can purchase another one of these oversize nuts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem. Ordered a new socket after replacing the bulb did't work. I am guessing my next step is to check the fuses? All other lights are working properly except the the rear passenger breaklight.

Been a week of a lot of fixes. I would really like one thing to go right! lol

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
repairs

I have had the same problem. Ordered a new socket after replacing the bulb did't work. I am guessing my next step is to check the fuses? All other lights are working properly except the the rear passenger breaklight.

Been a week of a lot of fixes. I would really like one thing to go right! lol
Welcome to the world of new beetles, repairs are a never ending story. LOL :p

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
2001 NB GLX Turbo -

also about switching out the socket that the light bulb hooks into...

Any ideas folks?
For kicks and giggles, pop the bulb out and reach into the socket with a small pry tool and bend out the pins that make contact with the bulb, they tend to get weak over the years and not hold enough pressure on the bulb which leads to your original problem. Pop the bulb back in and see what happens.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for all the info folks I have a 2000 beetle 2.0 gls with the driver side light out . Tightened the pins and have a new socket on order...thought it may be a ground issue but the other lights are working and share a common ground according to the Haynes manual electric schematics. I feel better after reading these posts ..I will keep ya'll posted.:thewave:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Good call on ordering a new socket; I bent the pins on the sockets but I still had problems with connection issues. I ended up having to replace the socket as the looseness of the socket is caused by warping of the plastic by heat and replacement, is the fix for that problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Went to the dealership and bought a new tail light socket. Installed and fixed the problem. No tickets for me now.May order another socket soon before they are no longer available for purchase, since my car is 17 years old. The design of the beetle is timeless. Doesn't seem like it is that old. Time flies

1 - 16 of 16 Posts