VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Beetle. New vehicle to me and my wife.

My wife complained the drivers central power door lock switch on the inside of the DRIVERS SIDE door panel on my 2000 Beetle would "unlock" the doors but would not "lock" them. I replaced the switch but she still complained about the drivers door lock switch. The Passenger Side central power lock switch would both "unlock" and "lock the doors. All wireless key fobs worked perfectly to lock and unlock doors. The automatic feature to lock both doors above 10 mph also worked.

I took both drivers and passenger door panels back off and noticed 5 wires going to the passenger central door lock switch. 2 for the back light and 3 for the door lock relay. 1) common ground 2) relay "unlock" and 3) relay "lock" both or which the switch grounds to activate a relay in the Comfort Control Module behind the dash. Everything on the passenger side makes sense.

On the drivers side however only has 4 harness wires going to the same part number switch. Again 2 for the back light but only 2 for the door lock relay. 1) common ground and 2) relay "unlock". The 3) relay "lock" wire is not part of the wire harness and looks like it never was!

The seems to be confirmed in the schematic at the link https://lukaszrak.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/schematy_elektryczne_new_beetle_rocznik_1998.pdf page 3 and 4

This means Volkswagen doesn't allow the driver to lock the door from the inside of the door. The only way for the driver to lock the door is 1) use the remote before its put into the ignition switch or driver the car above 5 mph.

My wife doesn't believe Volkswagen would do such a thing. My friends Passat divers lock switch works in both directions. Could the Beetle be different?

·
Amateur Professional
102 Posts
My 01 locks and unlocks, maybe a year change?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My convertible is 1400 miles away for a while, but I believe you should be able to lock the doors while the door is CLOSED, but you should not be able to lock the drivers door while the door is Open.

If the driver door latch is bad and cannot properly detect the door is closed, then the door will not likely lock.

The door latches on these cars get the crap beat out of them.

I have replace 2 driver door latches and 1 passenger door latch on my 2003!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So I figured it out. The drivers and passengers side door lock switches are actually different part numbers. 1C0962125A 01C is the drivers side and 1C0962125 01C is the passengers side (note the A). I made the mistake of putting a passengers side switch on the drivers side.

They look the same and both fit. Seems like a bad design decision on VWs part to have to stock 2 different but similar switches. I eventually found a schematic which shows resistors inside the switches which make them different (plus as I said the external wiring is slightly different). See images below from schematic that denote the differences in the driver and passenger switches.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Excellent detective work! We have seen incorrect pats; that seem to fit and parts from different years, cause all kinds of electrical problems. Glad you got it fixed! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts