VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2009 convertible and the drivers side window is hanging and works slow sometimes. I think it may be the regulator can anybody tell me about what this would cost to get this replaced? Or has anybody replaced this themselves if so do you have any pointers in doing it my self I do some of my own repairs but I don't know if I want to tackle this or not thanks for any input.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I haven't done any convertibles; I have done the normal ones, however... check out this video, it might give you a sense of what it takes to do the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCzYl4vqmJ4

For parts; call your local VW dealer with your vin # and they shoudl be able to tell you how much the parts are or look online, here are two places that typically have good prices for genuine VW parts:

www.1stvwparts.com

www.vwparts2go.com

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've replaced the cables in both of the regulators in the front doors of our '05 Convertible. It wasn't that hard, but the guy at the parts counter at the VW dealership told me in no uncertain terms that window regulators would not be accepted for returns "because too many people try to return them".

There is a "pin" you pull on the cable replacement kit *after* it is installed on the regulator frame/pulleys. If you don't do this correctly, the replacement cable assembly will be really screwed up and you won't be able to return it since that is not a manufacturers defect.

Since your window seems to work, somewhat, I'd personally pull the door panels off and inspect the regulator mechanism before buying any parts. In the case of our car, the cables snapped, so it was obvious they needed replacing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've replaced the cables in both of the regulators in the front doors of our '05 Convertible. It wasn't that hard, but the guy at the parts counter at the VW dealership told me in no uncertain terms that window regulators would not be accepted for returns "because too many people try to return them".

There is a "pin" you pull on the cable replacement kit *after* it is installed on the regulator frame/pulleys. If you don't do this correctly, the replacement cable assembly will be really screwed up and you won't be able to return it since that is not a manufacturers defect.

Since your window seems to work, somewhat, I'd personally pull the door panels off and inspect the regulator mechanism before buying any parts. In the case of our car, the cables snapped, so it was obvious they needed replacing.
Are the cables and regulator all in one kit or are they separate? I looked at the regulators on the parts print out and it shows the cables and regulator all together for about $190.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Are the cables and regulator all in one kit or are they separate? I looked at the regulators on the parts print out and it shows the cables and regulator all together for about $190.
If you buy the regulator, it should include the cable.

But, you can also buy a "regulator repair kit", which is just the cables and plastic bits that hold them together in the center. If you buy just the repair kit, you have to put the new cable from the repair kit onto the pulleys of your old regulator. I've seen these online, but I bought ours at the local VW dealership's parts counter.

Buying the "repair kit" will save some money, unless you make a mistake that ruins the thing. Like I said previously, my VW parts guy said you can't return them if something goes wrong. When I repaired our front door windows, I bought only the "regulator repair kit". I was successful in both cases.

So, the whole regulator assembly is the "safest", but definitely more expensive, way to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I THINK I WILL SEE WHAT THE DEALER IS GOING TO CHARGE TO DO THIS ( I THINK IT WILL BE ABOUT $400 OR $500 FROM WHAT I HAVE READ FROM OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT THE COST)if SO I THINK I WILL TRY TO DO THIS MY SELF. I HAVE WATCHED SOME VIDEO'S OF THEM REDOING THE CABLES AND IT LOOKS A LITTLE COMPLICATED. I DON'T THINK THEY COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've replaced the cables in both of the regulators in the front doors of our '05 convertible. It wasn't that hard, but the guy at the parts counter at the vw dealership told me in no uncertain terms that window regulators would not be accepted for returns "because too many people try to return them".

Since your window seems to work, somewhat, i'd personally pull the door panels off and inspect the regulator mechanism before buying any parts. In the case of our car, the cables snapped, so it was obvious they needed replacing.
i watched a video of them puting the repair cables on the frame and they didn't show a pin being pulled.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Make sure the repair kit (and the video you are watching) is for the "convertible" since it is quite different than the one for the "coupe". I double checked the pictures of the repair kit on the ECS Tuning website for the '09 convertible and I see the pin in the pictures. It is a piece of silver wire with a round loop on it that you pull out *after* installing the cable on the regulator pulleys. It is located near the center of the white rectangular piece of plastic that connects one end of the cable to the black plastic regulator that is in the center of the cable assembly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure the repair kit (and the video you are watching) is for the "convertible" since it is quite different than the one for the "coupe". I double checked the pictures of the repair kit on the ECS Tuning website for the '09 convertible and I see the pin in the pictures. It is a piece of silver wire with a round loop on it that you pull out *after* installing the cable on the regulator pulleys. It is located near the center of the white rectangular piece of plastic that connects one end of the cable to the black plastic regulator that is in the center of the cable assembly.
I got on the ECS site and they show regulator -front -power for $250 and repair kit $106 It looks like the one for $250 would be a complete altogether ready to bolt in do you think I'm right on that? And the repair kit I would have to hook up all the cables to my old regulator and I assume they don't include instructions.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I just used the ECS site as an example since it shows good pictures of the regulator repair kits. ECS is one of many places you can buy VW parts.

If, after looking at the pictures, you're still unsure of what you would be buying, it wouldn't hurt to ask (ECS in this case).

The other option would be to go to the VW dealership parts counter and ask to see the parts before you buy them.

As for "instructions", I have a (paper) copy of the Bentley manual for the New Beetle Convertible which helped a bit. I also look at some "how to" write-ups and I watched a few videos on the Internet. I doubt any car part like this will come with instructions.

Again, it wouldn't hurt for you to take apart the door to visually inspect the regulator cable to confirm the diagnosis. Doing this will also familiarize you with some of the work which would be needed to replace the regulator. If you can't successfully take apart the door to inspect the mechanism inside, you may be "in over your head" as far as a "do it yourself" fix is concerned.

Good luck! These cars seem to have "minor" things like this break with some frequency.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just used the ECS site as an example since it shows good pictures of the regulator repair kits. ECS is one of many places you can buy VW parts.

If, after looking at the pictures, you're still unsure of what you would be buying, it wouldn't hurt to ask (ECS in this case).

The other option would be to go to the VW dealership parts counter and ask to see the parts before you buy them.

As for "instructions", I have a (paper) copy of the Bentley manual for the New Beetle Convertible which helped a bit. I also look at some "how to" write-ups and I watched a few videos on the Internet. I doubt any car part like this will come with instructions.

Again, it wouldn't hurt for you to take apart the door to visually inspect the regulator cable to confirm the diagnosis. Doing this will also familiarize you with some of the work which would be needed to replace the regulator. If you can't successfully take apart the door to inspect the mechanism inside, you may be "in over your head" as far as a "do it yourself" fix is concerned.

Good luck! These cars seem to have "minor" things like this break with some frequency.
Thanks so much for your reply. I told my wife to trade this 2009 in on a new one but she loves this beige with black top beetle. so if these windows keep breaking then I better learn how to fix them my self or pay out $400 or $500 to have somebody else do it. I don't have a problem in taking it apart I just want to get it fixed right the first time.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply. I told my wife to trade this 2009 in on a new one but she loves this beige with black top beetle. so if these windows keep breaking then I better learn how to fix them my self or pay out $400 or $500 to have somebody else do it. I don't have a problem in taking it apart I just want to get it fixed right the first time.
So if your goal is to fix it right the first time, I'd do it yourself by replacing the entire window regulator. The part will cost more than the repair kit, but you'll still save money over having the dealer do the repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts