VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 VW NB
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new member to this community and do not know why my 2000 Beetle is leaking on the drivers side. I have not drive it in a week and randomly a colorless, odorless spot appeared on my driveway. I am trying to learn more about this car and I am clueless about cars in general. I started the car and no lights came on. I haven't driven it out of fear. My father who normally works on the car is out of town, and we are in a new home where we haven't established a relationship with any mechanic in the area. I don't want to sound like an idiot if I have to take this car to get it fixed. Any information or links would be helpful. Thank you!

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Blue Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Land vehicle Blue

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Is it an oily liquid to the touch? Or is it clear like water? Liquids on the drivers side that are clear, could be just water from a drain tube or brake fluid or coolant depending on what color coolant you have in your system. Your coolant should be pink or violet.

Edit; I have slow internet and after I posted the above your pics loaded and I see you have a big spot of wetness. Likely that is coolant, you should not drive it with a leak like that you can risk overheating.

Is the top of your battery box wet also? Power steering fluid is also a possibility. If it’s on your battery box then it is spraying. Check your power steering fluid level that is done by removing the green cap that is on the power steering resivor right beside your battery in the first pic. There are two lines on the little dip stick make sure the fluid level is between the two lines.

·
Registered
2000 VW NB
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it an oily liquid to the touch? Or is it clear like water? Liquids on the drivers side that are clear, could be just water from a drain tube or brake fluid or coolant depending on what color coolant you have in your system. Your coolant should be pink or violet.

Edit; I have slow internet and after I posted the above your pics loaded and I see you have a big spot of wetness. Likely that is coolant, you should not drive it with a leak like that you can risk overheating.

Is the top of your battery box wet also? Power steering fluid is also a possibility. If it’s on your battery box then it is spraying. Check your power steering fluid level that is done by removing the green cap that is on the power steering resivor right beside your battery in the first pic. There are two lines on the little dip stick make sure the fluid level is between the two lines.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. The leak is pinkish after I was whipping it up, and nothing on the top that got wet. I will have to check in the morning, but will keep this post updated.

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
Pink, would be engine coolant; I would check your coolant level @ the coolant tank. If it has been leaking for awhile; the leaking area, will have pink "crusty" type residue, left from the pink, VW spec coolant.

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
If the leak, is coming out; on the passenger side, under the bottom pulley, that the serpentine belt rides on, it could be a bad waterpump and that would require a replacement, along with a full timing belt kit. If the engine has been overheating and the leaking; is from under the harmonic balancer/pulley, you might check this video and confirm, the waterpump is working ok.

NOTE: keep in mind, these VW's use ALLOT of plastic parts on the cooling system and so, there are many places, where the leak can come from and the the plastic parts, can crack, causing a coolant leak (plus the waterpump, hoses, metal pipes, radiator, etc.).

Particularly hard to find leaks; are easier to find, if you use a cooling system pressure tester and then the coolant leaks or squirets out, making the source of the leak, easier to find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts