NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2005 NBC and my door control module took a short and burned straight through itself. I'm shopping for a replacement now, and I'm wondering if I can take a control module from any beetle trim style, vert/GL/GLS, or if I have to take it strictly from another vert?

Here is an example of the module, the piece that fried is the black part. Are these modules "dumb" or are they modular when it comes to different styles of VW?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It looks like there are a lot of different part numbers out there. See this database:

VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE [BE] (USA) 2005: ELECTRICS: 95910. WINDOW REGULATOR MOTOR; CENTRAL CONTROL UNIT FOR; CONVENIENCE SYSTEM

It is not clear what all the differences are but I'd recommend getting one with the exact part number.

Also, be sure that it wasn't a short in the wiring harness that caused the original one to go. Shorts are common in the boot area where the wires pass from the door to the door frame. It could be that the wrong wire shorted to a hot wire and fried your controller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looked like the culprit goes up to the power mirror. I haven't done a thorough investigation though. Last thing I would want is to replace it and have the new one burn up immediately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, that's the door latch assembly. What I need comes as part of the lift motor. I've done more research trying to find the part locally today, and what I've found is that it seems only dealers have access to new ones. They want $400. Dear god I hope I can find it somewhere else.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
From the brief research that I have done you can only get it as an entire assembly. :(

This is the same situation with the door lock control module; a year or so ago you could get just the module, now you have to get the entire latch assembly which includes the module and only from the dealer.

If all you want is the "black module" you are going to have get it from a wreck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If all you want is the "black module" you are going to have get it from a wreck.
That's what I'm thinking. I'll buy the entire thing if I can get it for ~$100. From what I can tell none of the salvage yards around here have any VWs, let alone vert beetles. That's why I'm trying to find out if one from a hatchback will work.

At this point I'm wondering if an Arduino can be programmed without too much difficulty to do the same job.

EDIT: I just came across this, and there's plenty on eBay. The compatibility page says it should work with my vert, but I hate to trust it blindly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts