VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive a newbie. I've looked all around for an answer to what I suspect you guys will roll your eyes about.

My kid's 2006 needed a headlight bulb today. We've had this car 6 months and I've done this 3 times now for various bulbs, so I can pop the assembly in and out in just a few minutes. That's not my question.

I'm not sure I understand the function of all 3 bulbs I see in the lens assembly. There are 2 H1's and 1 very small bulb off to the side, which is a Sylvania 194 - like a parking light.

When we start the car, one of the H1's comes on. I assume that's the DRL. That bulb stays on when we turn on the headlight switch, but the small 194 bulb comes on too as do the side marker lights and dash lights. The 2nd H1 appears to be high beam only. The fog lights are separate and work.

My confusion comes because from what I'm reading, what I'm calling the 194 (the small lights), some of you guys seem to be calling the DRL, and you're replacing those with LEDs. I'm interested in doing this because as it stands now, one of the H1's also serves as the DRL which means it's on all the time and burns out quickly.

So is this 06 set up correctly or has the PO done something I need to undo?

Thanks, and great forum. Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for your reply. Didn't mention the 06 is a convertible. Not sure if that matters. Only mention because I found this thread from an owner with the same lights, but his is an 07 convertible.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/45813-right-headlight-removal.html

It actually looks close to this, but with the small side lamp added to the side, which I can't see anywhere online. There is no horizontal placement of the 2 bulbs. One is behind a separate lens that looks like a "fisheye" to me (projector?) The other bulb is exposed. The small light is off to the side. I can't find what I have anywhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Yiyang. They are actually H7, not H1. I was wrong.

So to confirm, the low beam (h7) is also the DRL, and stays on all the time. The mini bulb only comes on when the light switch is on. Changing that mini bulb to an LED would not affect the DRL life. I was thinking perhaps the mini bulb was supposed to serve as the DRL instead of the H7.

Dan

·
Registered
128 Posts
You might want to think twice before you convert to HIDS. Another viewpoint here.
It almost sounds like you have E Code headlights. With a new Euro headlight switch and removing or taping over one pin at the headlight connector, you can eliminate the DRL's and use the small 194 bulb as the parking or "city" light. Then the light switch would be off/194 bulb on/headlights on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might want to think twice before you convert to HIDS. Another viewpoint here.
It almost sounds like you have E Code headlights. With a new Euro headlight switch and removing or taping over one pin at the headlight connector, you can eliminate the DRL's and use the small 194 bulb as the parking or "city" light. Then the light switch would be off/194 bulb on/headlights on.
How can I replace The Small 194 Bulb?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Those look to be some sort of aftermarket lights. Hard to see in the picture, but I would guess - and that is all this is - you remove the Torx screw and the light would pull out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts