NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Dropped Key into Conv Top opening in car body. How can I open up the back seat interior side panel so I can get the key out? I bought it used last month from indenpentant and dont have another key or I would take it to a dealership and have them do it...

·
Super Moderator
14,769 Posts
Ack! :calvin:

I am sure there is a way to get in there, but I do not have the answer. I am sure someone will come along very soon! :eek:

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
do you, or can you get one of the magnets on the end of a rod or snakey things? Id try that first if you hae something else metallic on the key. Can you even see it if you shine a kight down there?

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
I'd go with the magnet. Every hardware and auto parts store in the free world has extension-handled magnets for just this purpose. If you pay more than $6-8 for one, you're paying too much... Every bolt ever dropped knows how to find the exact geographic center under your car, and these magnets are invaluable if you don't want to retrieve the errant part without having to crawl down there. :rolleyes:

I dropped a stubby phillips screwdriver down there a few months back (and I wasn't even working on the car, I had it in my hand and went spastic as I walked by the car or something, next thing I knew it was down in there. Doh!), and that's the exact tool I used to fish it back out. Spot it with a flashlight and fish it out... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you, or can you get one of the magnets on the end of a rod or snakey things? Id try that first if you hae something else metallic on the key. Can you even see it if you shine a kight down there?
THank you,
BUT I bought a good, strong, telecoping magnet with a lighted tip... worked good to get in... but key cannot be picked up with magnet. Now it fell all the way to bottom and can no longer see it. Need to open the panel.

·
1,255 Posts
Some off-the-wall ideas - vacuum hose, sticky tape or a trunk monkey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts