NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am a female and about to buy my 4th Beetle. I have always had a manual transmission. I almost bought a 2013 TDI convertible but all I could find now had DSG transmissions. Several people have told me very negative things about the DSG transmissions: cost, maintenance, and not to mention horrible press from overseas recalls. On the other side, all of the salespeople (at different dealers were shocked! SHOCKED I say, that I would not buy a DSG. They extolled the virtues of it.

Can I get some opinions out there on DSG vs. manual transmission? I am probably now going to just pre-order a 2014: TDI convertible with manual transmission. I'll have to wait another 4-6 months to get it, though.

Thanks a lot!!

Linda

·
Registered
100 Posts
The manual transmission is still the only tranny option that is good for the life of the car; just have the synthetic gear-lube replaced at the timing-belt interval ($15 of gear-lube and 30-minutes of labor). :cool:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
DSG transmission overly complicated and VERY expensive to repair.

Manual transmission generally very reliable and have been around since the dawn of transportation.

Salesmen lips moving = Lying!!

None of them have ever likely driven, much less owned a DSG transmission.

If they work properly you are golden, if you have problems, you are in trouble both technically and financially.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dsg

Hi, I've had several DSG,s both in caddys and touran, done over 150000 miles no trouble, just look after them ie service with regular oil and filters (I change every 50 thou) google and read some of the positive comments :) cheers Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts