NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Innova Model 3150b code reader for my daughter's NB. I'm a bit disappointed in that it does not read the VW specific (or enhanced) DTCs. It only reads the basic codes.

My daughter's 1999 NB is turniung out to be a bit of a project car and I can't be running back to my local gatage every time I need to get the latest codes off the computer. Even though it only costs $69.95 to get the codes, 2 -3 times and I would have paid the price for a decent reader.

What does everyone prefer for getting codes off their Beetles? Do you you prefer software and a laptop (because I could go that route) or do you just use a decent code reader? I want to return my Innove 3150b and start over.

I like the idea of using software but there's also the Innova 3140 which I believe will puill manufacturer codes .

I would greatly appreaciate your recommendations.

Cheers!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
VCDS is the best reader you'll get for the car. It also allows you to look at measuring blocks for better troubleshooting.

Ross-Tech: Home

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
VCDS is the standard by which all others are judged; if you don't want to spend the dough and need all its capabilities... check out some cheaper alternatives. I have VCDS and it is excellent but you will need a pc laptop to run it.

I do not have any experience with the them but they are out there; convenient, handheld and you could keep it in your glove box! :)

v-checker line is cheaper but doesn't have the power of VCDS but can do the basic reading, clearing of codes.

OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

others out there:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...50,d.aWc&fp=46174a3563ce17e9&biw=1280&bih=937

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gents,

I like the idea of usiong the laptop and software over the handheld. The laptop provides a nice, big 15.6" screen and a much broader array of informationi at a single instant in time.

The Innova unit can be a useful addition for the glove box. I'll teach my daughter how to use it so she doesn't panic when the CEL comes on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ahem, apologies Smileybug, that address should've read "Thanks Ladies & Gents", it won't happen again :eek:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This is what you want, only thing is it does not read real time data.

Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Automotive

But for the price of $47 can be left in the car, will gather airbag codes and clear them as well as many other features.

VCDS is the best, but again, not something that will be kept in the car and can be used easily by someone that is not familiar with the program.

For $20 if someone had a Driod based phone or tablet, Torque Pro for $5 along with a $15 OBD to Bluetooth adapter and you can at least read real times temp, Voltage, O2 sensor, MAF and fuel trims.

Of for about $70 you could look at an UltraGauge which displays real time generic data and allow alarm thresholds to be set for things like Voltage, Temp as well as display and clear trouble codes.

I am not a fan of the Innova products, too expensive for what you get.

My favorite generic hand held scan tool is the Launch CReader VI, color display, real time graphing of sensors, Emission Readiness Status Monitoring, on tool trouble codes look up data base and if you shop it you can get it for around $65 out of Asia.

Hot Launch Creader VI OBD2 OBDII EOBD Code Reader

Using the CReader VI on BMWs, MINIs and Other Cars - YouTube

The CReaderVI is my first "Go To" tool as it is simple, fast and had a lot of great features. If and only if the Launch cannot give me the info I need, then I move onto more advanced tools.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I recently purchased a Innova Model 3150b code reader for my daughter's NB. I'm a bit disappointed in that it does not read the VW specific (or enhanced) DTCs. It only reads the basic codes.

My daughter's 1999 NB is turniung out to be a bit of a project car and I can't be running back to my local gatage every time I need to get the latest codes off the computer. Even though it only costs $69.95 to get the codes, 2 -3 times and I would have paid the price for a decent reader.

What does everyone prefer for getting codes off their Beetles? Do you you prefer software and a laptop (because I could go that route) or do you just use a decent code reader? I want to return my Innove 3150b and start over.

I like the idea of using software but there's also the Innova 3140 which I believe will puill manufacturer codes .

I would greatly appreaciate your recommendations.

Cheers!
If you want a basic VAG Code reader (VW/AUDI) the MaxScan 405 is easy to use and does VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda etc. specific codes and doesn't cost as much as the VCDS software or Vag Com. I have VCDS lite and an E-Bay cable and it does a lot of things but you have to drag your laptop into your car which isn't always as compact as I like it to be.
This little tool you can carry in the glove box and it reads and clears codes in a jiffy. ;)

Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can any combination of the BT adapters and applications (Torque pro) reset an airbag light? Or is that functionality limited to the handheld devices? :confused:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Can any combination of the BT adapters and applications (Torque pro) reset an airbag light? Or is that functionality limited to the handheld devices? :confused:
I don't think Torque Pro can reset an Airbag light. I believe that would be reserved for a VAG type device such as the Vag Com or VCDS Lite. Not sure if they HotScan VAG405 can do it or not.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
VAG405 appears it will read and clear Airbag and ABS codes and lights.

I personally have not done it with the VAG405, however, read the Amazon reviews and the VAG405 had a ton of menus for things like Airbags, ABS and many other systems.

Only downside is the VAG405 does not read and display real time data.

Torque or other apps like torque do not read or clear airbag lights at this point. They likely could, but the Airbag feature would likely be car/chassis specific and the developer would probably have to have these as available plug ins and they likely would have to own the specific car/chassis platform to test the software. A much smaller niche market than a generic OBD tool so there may be little incentive for the developer to take on a project like this??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts