NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Boomin' Granny '08
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!
About two years ago, I bought 2 gallons of DURABAK [ Durabak Company; Truck Bed, Marine, Boat Ship Industrial & Workplace Non-Skid Coatings. ] paint. I had plans to paint my entire 1998 [ that I have owned since mile 1! ], but trying to find a block of time where I didn't have to drive anywhere for at least a week proved difficult. Well, last week opened up and I made it work. Along the way I had been collecting upgraded accessories to add to my car when I finally got to paint it. So here it is in all its glory.

The car was the original blue, but after 13 years, it was oxidizing, pealing, chipping and parts on the hood and roof were rusting. I figured I could pay some body shop hundreds / thousand dollars to repaint, but then the same thing would happen over time. Plus they would just tape off and hit it with a coat or two. I once got rear ended on my back left fender [ actually on THE 9./11 ] and the paint job that the dealership did was worse than the factor job. So....I took the plunge and went to work.

First I removed all the wheel wells from the fenders, had to remove the back wheels to get to those as they had some screws that are pretty tough to get to. The fronts come off just fine, as I have removed them a million times. Then removed all lights and accessories and began sanding. Use an air compressor circular sander with 80 grit paper. Really all I needed to do was get the clear coat off and rough it up a bit. There were a few rusted spots that I got down to the metal to get the rust gone.

Then I removed the fenders and bumpers, took them into the garage, and cleaned them with Zylol. (Zylene is the same thing too). Then rolled on the first coat. Yea, that's the plus side to using DURABAK, is that I could roll it on, didn't have to spray or combine two chemicals.

Then I sanded the body while the fenders were drying. After they were done, I hit them with a second coat and proceeded to clean the body and add a quick first coat to it. That took both Monday and Tuesday to get done. The removal of the rear bumper and fenders took a lot of work.

Wednesday morning, I started taping off the body so I could get right up to the rubber seals and such for the second coat. Spent Wednesday and Thursday getting the body painted and touching up any parts on the fenders and bumpers. Thursday evening was putting all the body parts back on, then Friday morning was finishing touches and adding the NEW taillights, side lights, top spoiler, VW badges on corner windows, new tail pipe tips and a few other items. I also added those door handle guards and a new antenna base. I plan to PAINT a new VW logo on the hood.

I am going to swap out the side mirror covers and put black ones on, I also ordered some CHROME door handles (NOT covers) that came in yesterday, but they don't actually fit over the keyhole and they were thin cheap plastic, so I have sent them back.

I also added some 17x7.5 KONIG Black with Blue Accent wheels in September.

All in all, I think it turned out great and I have been getting TONS of people asking me about it and looking at is as I drive around.

The benefit of this DURABAK is that, it is UV coated so it won't fade crack or peel. Won't rust and it is flexible, so if someone dings my door, it's not going to spider crack like normal paint.

So if you are a do-it-yourselfer and have an old ****ty paint job, I highly suggest making your Beetle tough and rugged like this!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really, really want to touch it. Does it feel hard like car paint or is it vaguely rubbery?

I do like it a lot. It sort of looks like old bubblegum. All in all, a great sucess. You spent, what? A couple hundred on the paint?

·
Boomin' Granny '08
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is rubbery like. And it is more shiny that I expected. I thought it would be matte finish. But I'm cool with it being shiny. Each gallon plus two rollers was $119.95. I bought two gallons and used 1.5. Shipping was $25. So total was $264.40. You can't get ANYONE to paint a car for that cheap.

I own a 1953 Dodge truck, that I think I'll do the same way in a few years too :)

Thanks for the positive note!

·
Registered
668 Posts
:calvin:OMG!!

Sorry I don't get it. I think I would rather drive around with faded mismatched paint rather than humiliating my NB and myself for painting it with a roller using bedliner paint?

I know everyone has there own personal preference, but for me this ruined the car.

I've heard of 4X4's being painted with this and similar coating for durability........but really a NB?

JMO you did a good job it just looks hideous to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Aw, I thought it was pretty cool looking for so little expense! Not for everyone, I admit, but its certainly not hideous. He did a good job, I think, and he obviously spent a lot of time on it! It's got a unique look AND feel to it! Awesome. :D

Edited to fix my phone's stupid autocorrect.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
:calvin:OMG!!

Sorry I don't get it. I think I would rather drive around with faded mismatched paint rather than humiliating my NB and myself for painting it with a roller using bedliner paint?

I know everyone has there own personal preference, but for me this ruined the car.

I've heard of 4X4's being painted with this and similar coating for durability........but really a NB?

JMO you did a good job it just looks hideous to me.
I would have to concur....:p

·
Registered
119 Posts
WOW LOL, Maybe if you sand it down alittle and 70 or 80 coats of clear coat,I think you would have something realy unique. If anything to lessen the wind resistance and improve gas milage.Car washes will think twice about letting you through, That pant job might damage their equipment. Still LMAO, I had a rusty two tone green rambler station wagon I painted with a brush and black rusolium. I know how proud you feel.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Jeremy.. don't listen to people that are just being rude. If they don't like it, that's their thing. But they shouldn't be rude about it. It's not the VWVortex here ;)

I kind of think it's unique and cool.. it reminds me of this strange Japanese candy I found once.. it came in different colors and had little bumpy bits all over it, and one of them was blue :)

Kind of makes me want to chew on one corner of your car and see what it tastes like... does it taste like snozberries? (10 points if you get the reference) :D

And, a note to everyone else. Again. This isn't VWVortex. Try not to be rude! If you don't like it, you can say "it's not for me" or "I might have gone another way" but don't tell them that THEIR vision of the car is terrible or hideous.. etc. We org'rs are better than that! Just sayin. :eek:
When I can't speak my mind or voice an opinion on how I think something looks then perhaps I should start reconsidering visiting this site.

To me it just looks plain bad, I'm not being rude just being flat out honest. If you don't like my honesty, then I don't know what to say.

I also stated in my original post that "everyone has there own personal preference"& that he did a good job on it. Guess you missed that part of the post.

I'm sure when he posted the pics he was aware of the fact that there would be some who would be critical of the outcome.

The only thing that truly matters is that he likes it. Does'nt mean "I HAVE TOO". Nor should it mean I cannot comment on it. So quit calling me rude for stating my mind.

The paint job looks hideous in my eyes, if you don't like that so be it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree completely with Oldbugman, besides, we are not the ones who wants to eat the mans car, nor do we compair it to a lumpy piece of candy. Another passing thought on the paint job, My brother and me were currious on if that suff vastly reduces the road noise and increased the sound proofing, and if it did, why couldn't a person use it on the inside of the doors in lew of that expencive dynomatt.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
I kinda think it is cool...the only other time I have seen someone do this was on an old VW Truck on ebay that probably wasn't in great shape to begin with so it was unrestorable....but looked pretty cool.

The only thing I am curious about is how well it weathers and if it collects dirt.

·
Registered
668 Posts
After having looked at this thread once again,makes me wonder what kind of finish you could have acheived by spraying it rather than using a roller. I like the idea of having a super durable and flexible finish but just can't stand the textured look the roller provided. Looks like it's gonna be a major PITA to wash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts