NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I switch my AC from recirculating air to bring in outside air, it has a dusty smell. It smells like I am driving down a dirt road behind someone and my windows are open.

I preplaced the cab airfilter 3-4 weeks ago and I know I put it in properly. I also vacuumed out the leaves and debris that was on top of the filter.

I recently bought this vehicle used and the previous owner lived on a dirt road.

What else can I do to get the dust smell out?

This is a 2006 TDI Beetle.

·
Red Devl strikes again...
36 Posts
I preplaced the cab airfilter 3-4 weeks ago and I know I put it in properly. I also vacuumed out the leaves and debris that was on top of the filter.

What else can I do to get the dust smell out?
Have you cleaned out the air intake below the windshield. If the PO lived in a dusty climate, I would imagine there is some built up gunk in there that might be "flavoring" the air to the cabin when the a/c is on.

Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure what you are talking about with the "Air intake below the windshield". I took the dash apart and replaced the cab filter and when it was apart I cleaned that area out. Is there another area to clean out?

·
Red Devl strikes again...
36 Posts
I am not sure what you are talking about with the "Air intake below the windshield"... Is there another area to clean out?
The cabin air intake is the area where your windshield wipers attach to the outside of your car. There's a plastic grill there that brings in the air from the outside and runs it through the filter. You might try removing the grill and cleaning out any debris that's in there. My guess is there's a buildup of dirt and dust that's causing your air to smell musty.

Also, have you seen this: Smell coming from A/C & Heat - My Beetle stinks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
You need an A/C and heater duct cleaner. Often I will use this when a customer has a bad smell that happens only when air or heater is turned on. It works. It is not expensive either. Go on amazon.com and look in the automotive section. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to look in that air intake.

I have not seen that link, but mine is more like a dirt smell and not a mildew smell.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts