NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the e-brake button on the wife's NB, broke off so I have to replace the whole assembly and I'm going to remove the center arm rest, as I do not like it. I will be re-installing a '98 center console in it instead.

I'm sure we all know what the e-brake does.

Now this DIY has multiple applications as the center console must be removed to perform the following repairs...

1) To get access the Blend Door
2) Adjust the E-Brake Cables
3) Replace the E-Brake Switch
4) Add/Remove the Center Arm Rest
5) Replace the E-Brake Assembly

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you understand that a hack saw or cutting torch are not the right tools and are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong. AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB - 2000 1.8T liter 5 speed

According to eBahn-Bentley the interior layout changed after January 2001, so if your NB has a manufacture date after 01/2001, then some or all of the center console removal pics may be incorrect for you.

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author (D2Beetle) when you tell all of your NB friends!!

ITEMS NEEDED: An automotive manual; I have the eBahn Bentley DVD. I also used a large cardboard box placed on the ground to put my console pieces on as I removed them, so I would not damage any inadvertently; then I would poke the screws through the cardboard next to the part that was removed so I would know that those screws were for that part and I would not loose any.

SPECIAL TOOLS: None needed.

CAUTIONS: It is not necessary to disconnect the the battery for this project; however if this is a step in a larger project you might want to. Be careful with all plastic, it will be brittle. If something does not move look for the screw(s) that you missed?

So let’s begin...

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
For those that have the Center Arm Rest start here all others start with Step One.

Step Zero: [EB DIY 001 Thru 004] Remove the center armrest [EB DIY 001]. The cover plate on the drivers side must be removed first and if you plan to reinstall the center console, be careful or you will break the little plastic snaps (I did); pic [EB DIY 002] shows you the location of the six snaps. You only need to unsnap three on one side #1 or #2; be gentle with your prying screw driver. Remove bolt #3 and pull up on the center console.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Step One: [EB DIY 005] Remove the E-Brake Lever cover. Place a screw driver in #1 same direction as the arrow and pry the plastic tab down, while simultaneously pulling the e-brake lever cover toward the front of the car. The cover will be resistant, so some effort will be needed, but be careful and do not bang you elbow into you radio when it suddenly releases. Also do not pry to much on the plastic tab or you will break it off.

pic EB DIY 005A is the little black button that should extend from the end of the e-brake handle; this little black button is what actually releases the e-brake handle. See pic EB DIY 031.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Step Two: [EB DIY 006 thru 012] Remove the gear shift lever. 006-1 shows you why I have to replace E-Brake Assembly; NO Button to push!

To remove the gear shift lever put your car in reverse and then pull up on one side of the leather cover 006-2. It will unsnap easily so no force is needed; pull it all the up so you can see the metal clamp 009-1. You will need to pull this clamp away from the gear shift lever clips before you can cut it off; you will use a zip tie on it when you reinstall the gear shift lever. I used a small locking vice grip, and with some twisting and pulling it moved away from the gear shift clips; I then used my heavy duty wire cutters and cut it off. It will require some effort the pull the gear shift knob off of the gear shift lever. Again be careful not to bang your elbow into the radio or center dash when it suddenly releases.

It may not be necessary, but the white cover 012-1 over the black rubber seal can be removed; make note that there are holes in the rubber seal that the prongs of the white cover go through when you put it back together. The rubber seal need not be removed it is flexible enough to work around.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Step Three: [EB DIY 013 thru 017] Remove the top half of the center console. Remove screws 013-1, 013-2 and 014-1. The gently lift up on the front portion of the console; as in pic [EB DIY 015]. Then with your thumb, push in on clip 016-1 while pulling up some more to expose the 12 volt power connector. With channel lock pliers grab both sides as shown in pic [EB DIY 017], squeeze and pull down; after wards you can remove the top half on the center console.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Step Four: [EB DIY 018 thru 023] Remove the lower half of the center console. Make note where the 12 volt power connector goes through the center console [EB DIY 018]. Remove screws 018a-1, 018a-2, 018b-1 and 018b-2; remove the e-brake hand access panel. Remove the screw that is under the cover 020-1 and the one on the opposite side of the console; use a screw driver to pop off the cover. Remove screws 022-1 and 022-2 and lift out the lower half of the center console.

Pics 023A and 023B are not required for this project; however if you have to remove the lower dash for any reason you will have to remove this portion of the center console. 023A-1 is a plastic screw, similar to those that you use in drywall; take care or you will crack the console trying to pull it out. 023A-2 is just a plastic trim plug; you can pry it out. 023B-1 is the only real screw and do not forget to disconnect the 12V wire harness.

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Step Five: [EB DIY 024] Remove the center arm rest support if your NB has one; 024-1, 024-2 and 024-3.

Step Six: [EB DIY 025 thru 038] The e-brake switch is on the drivers side of the e-brake assembly and depending on your ability you may or may not need to unbolt the e-brake; however it is easier to do it with the e-brake not bolted in. If all your are doing is replacing the e-brake switch, you do not need disconnect the e-brake cables.

If you need to adjust your e-brake cable, that is done with nut 027-5; make note of the thread lock (white mark). Now you need to be sure and leave some play in the cable connector; as long as the cable connector can rock back and forth with out either cable moving you should be good to go. Also you do not want it so loose that it can rattle and vibrate loose.

To get the e-brake assembly out, remove bolts 027-2, 027-3 and 027-4 and it will lift right out. To disconnect the e-brake switch flip the locking connector lever up with your finger and the connector will slide out. The e-brake switch is held on by two plastic clips on the opposite side of the e-brake. Unsnap the clips and the switch will come off.

You are Done! :goodjob: Follow these instructions in reverse order to reinstall.

Pic EB DIY 031 shows you the little black button, that was the cause of the problem.

Pics [EB DIY 032 and 038] show my new E-Brake Assembly and '98 Center Console reinstalled. No more center arm rest :banana: Whoo! :banana: Hoo! :banana:

Attachments

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bug didn't come with an arm rest (way jealous now)and if I pulled it all out I would clean it up really well and paint it to match the car :D
I still have the center console with arm rest you want it?

As compulsive as I am about keeping my NB's clean... I could paint it, but the gray is hard enough to keep clean, the yellow would be even more difficult.

·
"SunShine" 01 1.8T 5sp.
1,671 Posts
How much do you want for it? We will be in Pegion Forge tomorrow through Friday morning.. I could meet you there or on the way I am not familiar with TN.. lol..

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much do you want for it? We will be in Pegion Forge tomorrow through Friday morning.. I could meet you there or on the way I am not familiar with TN.. lol..
Pigeon Forge is about a 4-5 hour drive, and I wish I was on a vacation like you.

I only got a couple dollars.. Is it just the arm rest part or what?
Let me send you some pics and we can work out the rest later.

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Awesome. You always do some really good DIYs. I had done the armrest delete before I saw this. Still have the open space though ...

Where is the best place to source a replacement for the e-brake lever?

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome. You always do some really good DIYs. I had done the armrest delete before I saw this. Still have the open space though ...

Where is the best place to source a replacement for the e-brake lever?
I got mine from snowsquall who was doing a part out. Try the salvage yard. I am looking for another gray no-arm rest center console; if you find one let me know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts