NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro-in-law is a fanatic about clean vehicles. Here are a few tips he taught me. Open the doors, truck and hood. Use a leaf blower and go at it. Stick it under the seats, blow it all out. Don't forget to hit the dash and seats last as sand and debris can settle there. You'll notice the floors may look like you already vacuumed them, it works that well. Close up and start washing. As soon as you finish, blow the car off again, top down, with the leaf blower. Take care NOT to point it at the ground. You don't want sand on the car. He takes a clean towel and dries the car. Don't use fabric softener on your car towels, it reduces their ability to hold moisture. Once dry he opens the doors and using the now moist towel, he wipes the door thresholds, folding the towel to keep sand off the finish. It's amazing how people can look into the open door, not notice the thresholds are clean but still get the impression that this car is newer. He then hits the car all over with a calif. mop. If he sees any red "hairs" from the mop that are snagged on the finish, he clay bars and waxes. His wax of choice is NXT by Meguire. Clear, very fast to apply, fast to dry, and super quick to remove once dry. He has 2 tuperware tubs for towels, 1 for clean and 1 for dirty. He restored a '40's Ford truck and the pro that painted it told him that if a drop of Armor-all gets on his paint, it will penetrate and he will see that drop even after a strip and repaint job. He always pours a little in a rag away from the car and walks over to do his thing. The Pro told him that bugs on paint are a "whole new issue" if left on for 2 weeks or more. Yes he quick washs the front end after every drive. He wears me out just watching.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I've been using my leafblower to get all the water out of the nooks an crannnies on the outside for years. It really works well.

I never thought about the interior :) I'm going to go out and try here in a little bit.

Thanks for the tip!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
good idea except if you have pine trees. the upper corners of the hatch are magnets for the pine needles. Hit them with a leaf blower and you have several hours of work on your had sucking them up from everywhere on your interior. My suggestion there is use a small shop vac with a corner attachment and get them out that way.

also meg's nxt contains silicones, that IMHO is a whole lotta trouble for any coating as it tends to attempt to seal in nasties and over long periods of time will yellow paint. Look for waxes w/o silicones in them, my personal choice currently is collonite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think as per as by my personal experience and according to my point of view waxes w/o silicone in them are way too much great for any ride's body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts