NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's been ased before, but i figured its been a while and by now someone has probably done it themselves.

ECS Fog Light Kit

how would this be installed. I know id be able to get the new grill and lights mounted, as well as install the new euro switch. But where does the new wiring harness and relay connect to? how would i go about the installation

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Edit: SEE POST #21 below for fitment analysis.

Mounting all the hardware is the hard part, electrical, piece of cake.
Edit: Based on a later post, I have to revise the following statement to read -
IF the plug for the fogs is already in the harness for the headlights, the wiring kit from ECS should simply plug into it.

Fuse #3 serves dash illumination and fog light relay and it's already in place. Fuse #36 serves the fog lights themselves.

Now as to the relay, there is a contradicion between the relay location and the wiring diagram in the Bentley. The relay location is called out as Position #8 in the wiring diagram, the relay location is shown as Pos #4 on the Auxillary Relay Panel (above the Relay Panel) See chart here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87567d1316930787-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-service-manual.pdf
EDIT: The relay position chart in this link (from the Bentley (paper) Service Manual apparently is not correct. There is a newer chart (from July 2005), from the Bentley DVD-ROM Repair Manual, now attached below. The correct relay position apparently is #8.
On your vehicle the wiring is already there, just lacking the relay being plugged in.

Btw, the kit includes the Euroswitch which will also allow you to add the red rear fog (also available for '06+) at a future date.

MORAV

Added-

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mounting all the hardware is the hard part, electrical, piece of cake.

The plug for the fogs is already in the harness for the headlights. The wiring kit from ECS should simply plug into it.

Fuse #3 serves dash illumination and fog light realy and it's already in place.

Now as to the relay, there is a contradicion between the relay location and the wiring diagram in the Bentley. The relay location is called out as Position #5 in the wiring diagram, the relay location is shown as Pos #4 on the Auxillary Relay Panel (above the Relay Panel), with Pos #5 "open". See chart here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87567d1316930787-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-service-manual.pdf
On your vehicle the wiring is already there, just lacking the relay being plugged in, in one of those two positions.

MORAV
so is it that easy? just plug the new harness into the lights and the headlight harness and thats basically it. i dont really get the part with the relay though

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
so is it that easy? just plug the new harness into the lights and the headlight harness and thats basically it. i dont really get the part with the relay though
That easy. I can say with almost 100% surety that the plug is there, in the headlight harness, close to one of the headlights. They never do different wiring harnesses for this type of thing, factory or dealer installed option. The relay in the kit has to be plgged into to either Position 4 or Position 8 on the Auxillary Relay Panel (discrepency between the Bentley wiring diagram and relay panel layout). Edit: Found an updated auxillary relay panel chart in the Bentley Repair Manual (not in the paper Service Manual), apparently the correct position for the relay is #8, that position should be empty. Do you need help locating the panel?
I think you have to fish a wire through the firewall at least that's from the instructions I've seen...
Sorry, hate to take exception, but I think you are wrong. You may have this wire confused with the single lead that has to be run for the red REAR fog from the Euroswitch to the rear fog light housing.

Most times, "kits" that are put together for a dealer installed option or for resellers are done so simply by combining stand alone parts or stand alone assemblies that carry one part number. Everything in theis kit should be available from the dealer as an individual replacement part. Typically VW techs or Jobber Techs KNOW how to install things. They might have to check to see where in the panel to plug in a relay, but, the wiring harness plug is there for the looking (every plug is unique and can not receive the mate that was not designed for it).

MORAV

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That easy. I can say with almost 100% surety that the plug is there, in the headlight harness, close to one of the headlights. They never do different wiring harnesses for this type of thing, factory or dealer installed option. The relay in the kit has to be plgged into to either Position 4 or Position 5 on the Auxillary Relay Panel (discrepency between the Bentley wiring diagram and relay panel layout). Both "holes' are currently empty, the panel is already wired to receive the relay. Do you need help locating the panel?

Sorry, hate to tak exception, but I think you are wrong. You may have this wire confused with the single lead that has to be run for the red REAR fog from the Euroswitch to the rear fog light housing.

Most times, "kits" that are put together for a dealer installed option or for resellers are done so simply by combining stand alone parts or stand alone assemblies that carry one part number. Everything in theis kit should be available from the dealer as an individual replacement part. Typically VW techs or Jobber Techs KNOW how to install things. They might have to check to see where in the panel to plug in a relay, but, the wiring harness plug is there for the looking (every plug is unique and can not receive the mate that was not designed for it).

MORAV
wheres the Auxillary Relay Panel?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Relay panel is just to the side of the steering wheel, behind the lower panel. The panel that the headlight switch is in. Not sure if the two switch assemblies have to be removed from the panel to have enough room to gain access.

There are two relay panels, one above the other. the upper one is the auxillary relay panel. Sorry I can't provide you an actual pic.

M.

Attachments

·
volks r cool
273 Posts
fog lamps

My car is a 2008 bug vert..I was highly considering the fog lamps also...DoI have the wiring necessary to add???I know I see the wiring clips in front grill what about the inside issuies...most info is for the older bugs(pre 2006)...thnx guys & gals...Happy holidays to all

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Please see Post #21 below.

·
1,255 Posts
The relay is not needed. I don't know why it is supplied. The fog lights wire directly to the light switch pin NL. The factory version does use a relay only to disable the fog lights when high beams are on (DOT requirement). This involves additional wiring. I installed a fog relay and wiring in my installation (not the ESC Kit) with parts from a donor car. High beams on, fog off.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The relay is not needed. I don't know why it is supplied. The fog lights wire directly to the light switch pin NL. The factory version does use a relay only to disable the fog lights when high beams are on (DOT requirement). This involves additional wiring. I installed a fog relay and wiring in my installation (not the ESC Kit) with parts from a donor car. High beams on, fog off.
So, on your '09 what was prewired? I guess I'm a little confused!

·
1,255 Posts
No, it was not pre-wired for fogs. All wiring had to be installed except for the fog light power wiring to the light switch. I installed the fog light inhibit relay and additional wiring needed to activate the relay when high beams are turned on. The socket was installed (as factory) in the relay panel under the dash. The relay and relay socket with all wiring as I could get to was taken from a donor car, a 03 sedan. Lights and grilles from 1st VW Parts.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The switch was wired? Where did the power lead go, if it didn't go to the relay position as shown on the diagram? The plugs weren't in the headlight harness? So ALL the wiring in the below wiring diagram was new or from the donor vehicle (pre '06 models were wired exactly the same except for the relay position)?

So do you think the earlier models '06, '07, '08 were prewired? Were the factory available fogs deleted somewhere along the way? I'm not sure what the last poster meant by the "wiring clips" (plugs?) are there. I guess I have to modify my statement above that IF the plugs are in the headlight harness, the vehicle is prewired, to the switch and for the relay!

Attachments

·
1,255 Posts
The pre-wiring that I mentioned was JUST the 12V to the light switch for the fog lights. NO wiring existed from the light switch to/for the fog light relay or fog lights. I do not know the model year that fogs and wiring were deleted.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, that power in is there regardless, services anything run off the switch, not a dedicated power source for the fogs. So it is a dedicated power source, thanks Duffy. But you say it WAS there in yours, even though there was no downstream wiring to the fogs, and the #36 fuse? Is the empty NSL pin for the rear fog, I'm guessing?

Thanks Duffy. So I have to stand by my statement, IF the foglight plugs are in the headlight harness then the wiring IS in place for the fogs, and this kit is plug and play.
:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts