VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I was having problems with a leaking drain plug. I went to buy a Hybrid Oil pan from ECS Tuning (man. by MTC). When I got the pan installed (by a certified mechanic) it started to leak from where the steel bottom meets the aluminum top. When I called ECS they made it very clear they knew of this problem and continued to ship it out!! I just wanted to warn everyone to stay AWAY from ECS and their oil pans manufactured by MTC, the OEM pans are fine. This is a huge headache for me and almost ruined my engine due to the severity of the leek, it was so bad, within 50 miles the oil was below the dip stick level.
Just an FYI to all forum members!

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow I wish I would of found this thread earlier. I posted about my smashed out stock pan and someone recommended checking out ECS tuning for a replacement. I ended up with the same hybrid pan as the OP is talking about and it has been the biggest nightmare imaginable.

I paid $100 extra to overnight the new pan because I could not afford to have any down time on my vehicle. Not only did mine leak like a sieve from the ECS factory applied seal between the steel pan and aluminum upper, but the customer service I received was beyond horrible. Not only did they acknowledge under their breath that it is a known problem and they still send them out, they told me I now had to re-do the seal. So it also turns out the 5m pan bolts were way over applied with some green colored loc-tite, which they didn't bother to mention, so before the mechanic realized they needed extreme heat to get them out he managed to break the allen head off in one of the bolts. So now we are talking hours of shop time to do this job. Then it gets even better when we finally get the steel pan off it was so warped and cupped around the bolt holes from being overtightened and poorly pressed the guys at the shop wanted nothing to do with being responsible for a new seal because they felt the mating surfaces were too warped to gaurantee me that it wouldnt leak again. So after over a week of down time, a huge shop bill, and hours cleaning up oil leaks all over other peoples driveways, ECS tells me I need to pay for a new pan before they will send me a replacement unless I want to fully remove the defective one and send it back and wait for inspection by their warrant folks. All of this is more shop time on my dollar of course. I have never dealt with such dirtbags in my life. I run an aftermarket performance company that makes snowmobile parts and I could never imagine causing a customer so much financial and time loss due to a known defective product and offer nothing to make it right except that they buy another likely defective part. I will never do business with ECS tuning again and DO NOT buy one their hybrid pans!

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,857 Posts
WOW! That stinks. I was thinking about buying one down the road myself... guess I'm scratching that off my list. Probably better just to buy a skid plate from Dieselgeek.com, and be done with any potential headaches of a crappy hybrid oil pan.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I bought my hybrid pan from another vendor & it leaked too. He was very helpful. After a few "go-arounds" with new pans, we finally decided to pull the steel bottom lower off and resealed it with VW/Audi-specific sealant and no more leaks :).

I would think that the 2 different metals would be subject to potential leaks because of the different heating/cooling cycles for them. We should have just popped it off & resealed it from the beginning.

I think they are a good product and for piece-of-mind would recommend buyers reseal the pans prior to installation

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought my hybrid pan from another vendor & it leaked too. He was very helpful. After a few "go-arounds" with new pans, we finally decided to pull the steel bottom lower off and resealed it with VW/Audi-specific sealant and no more leaks :).

I would think that the 2 different metals would be subject to potential leaks because of the different heating/cooling cycles for them. We should have just popped it off & resealed it from the beginning.

I think they are a good product and for piece-of-mind would recommend buyers reseal the pans prior to installation
Having the same problem with a used factory pan, what did you torque the bolts to when you re-r=sealed? 11 f/lb?

·
Registered
125 Posts
What is the difference between the factory pan and the ecs pan? Price?
The ECS pan is made by an aftermarket Mfg, the factory pan is VW from Brazil.

It would appear that no matter what pan you use, factory or aftermarket, new or used, you should definitely re-seal the steel pan when installing. I'm going to use the 11 ft/lb torque spec as I can't find anything different and I need to bolt this thing back together tonight.......

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Having the same problem with a used factory pan, what did you torque the bolts to when you re-r=sealed? 11 f/lb?
I actually had some other things that needed to be done and had my mechanic do the work for me.
What is the difference between the factory pan and the ecs pan? Price?
The factory pan I have is all-aluminum and is one-piece
The hybrid I bought has a steel-bottom bolted to the aluminum housing
The ECS pan is made by an aftermarket Mfg, the factory pan is VW from Brazil.
Are you talking about a factory hybrid pan? I had seen those but elected to go with the less expensive pan.
It would appear that no matter what pan you use, factory or aftermarket, new or used, you should definitely re-seal the steel pan when installing. I'm going to use the 11 ft/lb torque spec as I can't find anything different and I need to bolt this thing back together tonight.......
^^Agreed^^ Did you re-seal it already? Again, I apologize for not knowing the torque specs as I had my mechanic do the work.

Follow-Up: It's been 6 months since the reseal and all is well :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yup, resealed and bolted up @ 11ft/lb. I'll let it sit overnight before I refill it. Then I get to fire it up for the first time in 8 months, fingers crossed......

Good to hear that yours isn't leaking!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts