NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Booyakasha
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a question for 'chippers' out there....what is the difference between flashing ur ECU (stock ECU) and replacing with another ECU (eg. APR)....u get the same boost right??

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
ok u dont replace the ecu u get a chip... flashing is just liek updating the bios on a computer... it erases the stock program and loads a new one on the stock chip... and a chip is just a chip with th program allready on and u desoder the old one and install the new one... and no their is really no diffrence.. most chips are all reflashed nowdays. its alot easer and faster.

·
Noob Bugger
2 Posts
Although I'm not the original poster, I'n curious about this as well.

From some Googling of the net, I've seen some ECU flash programmers for sale. Is this something that I can do myself or would I still need to take my car to a tuner for flashing?

Would the dealer end-up reverting my ECU to stock when I take it in for servicing? If so, I would really like to be able to buy the adapters and software for my laptop so I can re-flash it myself.

Looking at the recommended tuners (APR etc.), I get the impression that whether I have the ECU replaced or flashed, I would still need to remove it from the car and send it in to them or an authorized shop.

Thanks in advance for any insights from other 1.8T owners (especially those who have had their ECUs flashed).

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts