NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back again with more issues :(
My 2002 little white bug turbo began having issues last summer when the speedometer stopped recognizing speeds above 55 mph. That finally rectified itself though it's about 5 mph off. In December I was at a red light and the whole car just shut off. After a few tries it came on again and had no more issues. A week ago it had a hard time turning over. It would take 4 or 5 tries for it to start. This wasn't every single time, either, maybe every other. I took it to my mechanic and there were no issues with the alternator, starter or battery. Then he ran an engine analysis and said there were four coding problems and this was not something he could fix, only a dealer could replace and reprogram the computer and it was probably not worth it.
I talked to a couple of friends of mine who are car savvy and they said computers could be bought online and replaced by a mechanic. What about the reprogramming issue?
I'd love some advice on what to do. I really don't want to have to go out and buy a new car or spend $2k on repairs (more than its worth TBH). Please dumb down any replies, as I'm not literate in car speak at all! Thank you for your help and please help me save me LWB!

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Scan and post the codes. To my understanding, it's tough to kill an ECU so I'd be surprised if that's the issue.. What kind of "engine analysis" did they do? Like what does that even mean? Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Scan and post the codes. To my understanding, it's tough to kill an ECU so I'd be surprised if that's the issue.. What kind of "engine analysis" did they do? Like what does that ven mean? Lol
Lol it sounds like the engine analysis was scanning for codes, and what kind of mechanic was this? He can't look up the codes and diagnose the problem? Like where the heck did she find this guy that thinks the ecm needs to be reprogrammed? xD

"Then he ran an engine analysis and said there were four coding problems and this was not something he could fix, only a dealer could replace and reprogram the computer and it was probably not worth it."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts