VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Atomic Glee said:
Oh, and Aaron - your original two-tone article is now back at RetroBugs.com. For anybody curious about how good paint is done, check out the article on my site that Aaron sent over - the pics are really great!

http://www.retrobugs.com

Awesome Kevin,

Thanks for the info! and for bringing back my article on the process of my paintjob.. I thought it was lost forever!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Audi TT Control Arm bushings are the bomb!

Last night I had all 4 of my Front Control arm bushings replaced with brand new ones. the front ones were replaced with standard NB bonded rubber mounts, the rear control arm bushings however were replaced with the same pieces out of an Audi TT. these are MUCH better handling than the ones from the NB. the ones that are on the NB have two large kidney bean shaped holes in them to soften up the ride. whil this is all good, the Audi ones are better because they are SOLID rubber, no holes = MUCH stiffer than the NB ones. the turn in is more precise and the car is not as floaty over the undulations in the road.

after a couple hours of hard Work by Jon Hamilton (Rally VW TDI Golf driver/Owner) Growler is handling MUCH MUCH better.. no more swimming all over the road.

if you ever need new rear control arm bushings, the Audi TT ones are an excellent upgrade.

Good to hear E. :)

Today I got to put Growler's old grill to use on my99vdub's Bluenote. Took a little custom fabrication, but I was able to mount the Drivergear accent without too much of an incident. :)

Discussion starter · #27 · (Edited)
TT Control arm rear bushing

Here is the Part number for the Audi TT Lower Control Arm Bushing

(2) required: 8NO 407 181 B
(2) front bushings (NB/TT Part#s are the same): 357 407 182

new Thread here all about it. with prices etc.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #28 ·
for the curious, this is why my front end was all over the place..

the metal cylinder is supposed to be permanently bonded to the rubber part... OOPS>

old and busted with the new part below.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Thanks man!

I feel like a bad parent since I havent posted about him much..

but,. when things are going good, and there havent been any changes... its odd to post that you know :)

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Hey, Growler got his Roof Rack Powdercoated by Dupont over the Holidays...

Finally got it all put back together and decided that since it was so nice outside, that I should put his caps & Rings back on!

Enjoy!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #33 ·
on a not so fun note, Growler has had some issues with Popping out of 5th gear... only 74k miles,, he is WAY too young for that.

anyhoo, after trying all of the cheap fixes I could come across, I have decided to replace everything in the 5th gear area.

getting a European .681 5th ratio (Stock is.755) because it is $75 Cheaper than the OEM ratio..

an all new Selector mechanism, new needle bearing, new Synchro, new bolts to hold it all in place and a new gasket for the tranny endcap.

all in all it is going to cost $650 for these parts. it only takes about 2.5 hours to swap these out and it is easily done by following the insturctions on http://linux.itsafish.com/gearswap.pdf that pdf.

the Thread with all of the gory details in located here on TDIClub

Discussion starter · #35 ·
vw2nv said:
Looking good Aaron, but what the heck is with that scratch on the right front fender?
That has been my dirty little secret for over a year.

I swung about 1/8" too wide pulling into a parking space at the garage at work because the guy in the space next to me was crowding the spot just a little. that scratch is the result...

its no big deal really, it goves me the perfect spot to place my display board at car shows...

see :

it hides the blemish perfectly.. I am just glad we have plastic fenders.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Corey,

ya thos are the same mats.. they work great for what I use them for :)

Last night I fixed my 5th gearset issue.. and I have to tell you the .681 5th gearsetr I installed was VERY much worht the wait to get.

there is nothing like cruising along at 2000 rpm going 65MPH..
and 80 comes up quickly at 2500 RPM.

lets hope that this set lasts longer than 73k miles.. :(

Discussion starter · #39 ·
it installes lickety split.. the original way it mounts is you have to remove the rain channel covers completely and it will fit inside that channel

on my car I wanted to make sure it fit in the same spot all the time so I modified my rain channel covers and cut them into 3 pieces per side.

this left me with 4 pockets for the feet to fit into that way they always clamp into the same place on the channels.

makes it a piece of cake to install..

here is a leg in the pocket I made.

and here is an image of the pocket when I take the rack off.

and here is a closeup of the original mounting with no rain gutter covers installed.

you can also see my stainless steel hardware so I do not get rust in there for easy removal.

enjoy!

Aaron

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.