NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: long post ahead.

As we were giving the bug a good cleaning inside and out today (see photo), I had a chance to reflect on 8 months of ownership. She’s an '08 sunflower yellow NBC that we bought in February of this year.

I have wanted a bug since our family’s fourth and last one (my Dad’s orange Super Beetle) was stolen in 1973.

Here’s my assessment so far:

It’s inconvenient. I should mention that our other car is a Miata! For example, we were 2 ½ hours away from home the other day and saw the perfect chair for my father-in-law. We decided to get it but then stopped short when we realized we couldn’t haul it back home in the bug. And I constantly have to shift things around to keep organized. (You know what I’m talking about).

It requires pampering. It looks brand new, the paint is beautiful, and I am so determined to keep it that way that I try never to park in the sun. As a result, I use a parking deck at work that is at lease a 5-minute walk rather than parking right outside my building. I drive around till I find the perfect parking spot. Furthermore, I can’t just run it through a car wash. I’m afraid it will get scratched (and it would). Therefore, we have to spend about 6 Sundays a year washing and waxing, something I’ve never had to do before.

Doris hates it! She’s our stumpy little dog who can’t see out because the seats are so low. And the road noise with the top down scares her.

It’s impractical. Especially at the moment. I am in the market for an RV and really need a tow vehicle so I can get a nice trailer. And I can’t ride with the top down during the week because of the wind-blown hair issue.

But … I love it! It makes me smile every time I see it. I love driving it, I love seeing it in my carport. What can I say? It just makes me happy.

About a month ago, I absolutely decided to trade it in for a truck or SUV. The next time I drove it, I absolutely decided I would never give it up. This went on for a while. I would make up my mind to sell it that night and then change my mind the next morning while driving. Now I’m finally resolved to buy a motor home so I can keep the bug forever.

Serious bug love. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I hear you, loud and clear.

I didn't learn, the first two times I traded two NBs in. I think I have learned now.

I never felt such love in any of my Fords. Yes, I liked them. However, I never named any of them, nor felt that any of them were "part of the family".

Yes, she's finicky, too small for an IKEA visit, and is a spoiled Diva, but I love her, and cannot imagine life without her. My New Beetles have made me friends, from all over the world.

You have eight months of Bug Love. I still have that, nearly 10 years now. It's amazing.

I don't know just what VW put into these cars, but I love it.

I hope you keep the love going.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Why not drive the Miata, so you can get Dad's chair in, keep the dog happy, not have hair issues when you drive that one with the top down, you don't need to wash, wax, or keep it out of the sun, it washes and waxes itself and is impervious to ultra-violet light, and it takes the abuse of other car's doors well. :rolleyes:
MORAV :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
:grouphug: OP, I like your picture, it looks so happy :D, that's why I'm not 2012 fan, doesn't look happy.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Doris hates it! She’s our stumpy little dog who can’t see out because the seats are so low. And the road noise with the top down scares her.
I always use car seats for dogs. I have two sizes. It is best so they can be safe and see out. It can really make them car sick when they cannot see out.

Glad you are keeping your gorgeous New Beetle!!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trudy's Mom,

I tried a car seat - actually a booster seat - and it wasn't deep enough for her to sit comfortably. I may have to look into one of those strap-on elevated seats made just for pooches. I should start a new thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts