NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my catalytic converter replaced for my 2000 beetle. I have also the oxygen sensors replaced ( I bought the oxygen sensors separately). Now the CEL is showing a code of P1198 which according to the code is O2 sensor heater circ (Bank 1) sensor 2 electrical mulfunction. Is this the downstream oxygen sensor. Please let me know. I can only check proper connection meaning check for proper connection. Please advice.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
17606/P1198 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heater Circuit: B1 S2: Electrical Malfunction

17606 - Ross-Tech Wiki

From what I can tell; it is the second 02 sensor after the cat; check your bentley manual for testing procedures (wiring, 02 sensor,; to test the heater circuit on the sensor, you can use a volt ohm meter etc.). Did you replace both 02 sensors?

Another issue; you might consider! When I replaced mine; the check engine light was persistent and wouldn't clear (CEL and code stayed on); even with "clearing codes" feature in VCDS/VAGCOM. I had to clear it; using the touching of the positive and negative battery cables technique! Then, the codes; finally, went away and all was well, the codes didn't come back. My 02 sensor: after checking it with a VOM and looking at the specs in the Bentley, I was able to confirm that the heater circuit was dead, it didn't have continuity (the heater circuit was broken).

What brand were they and can you post up the part numbers; also, what were the part numbers on your old ones? Poor quality aftermarket non-oem 02 sensors can be a issue; as are, the incorrect 02 sensors for your particular application/car. I always stick with OEM Bosch with excellent results!

According to the Bosch Vehicle Parts Finder: these are the correct part numbers for your 2000 New Beetle with a 1.8T

http://www.boschautoparts.com/vehiclepartfinder/pages/vehiclepartfinder.aspx

Part Number Description Comments

17353 Oxygen Sensor Upstream (APH Engine code)

16132 Oxygen Sensor Downstream (APH Engine code)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. Well, I can investigate how to test it. I will probably just recheck the connection and if the cel is still on , I will just try to replace it with Bosch brand. You have been helpful and thank you so much.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
So, did you replace both sensors or just one? Which sensors did you replace? Where did you get the sensors from and what brand were they? If you Replaced all the sensors and you're still getting the check engine light; then I would go ahead and remove the battery cables touch them together for 30 seconds, reconnect and see if that makes the check engine light go away. That was the problem that I was having and Resetting the computer with this technique fixed the CEL problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cel p01198

I actually have two new oxygen sensors replaced and I got them from Rockway auto. The front one is a Delphi marked for European model. After checking with Delphi, I was assured it will work with only a longer wire. The rear one is another brand (I can remember) and this is the one that throw the code message. Anyways, I was planning to remove and replug to make sure that it is hooked up tight. After driving the car for about 200 km, the CEL light is not showing anymore. It has been 100 km since then and the light is still off. If it shows up again, I will just unhook it and order a Bosc brand.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Interesting, well; it is possible, that the ecm had the code that was persistent or remained (in memory); just like mine but that driving the car... caused the code to go away after awhile (because the readiness code was finally generated).

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Readiness

With VCDS; you can generate readiness codes with the software but the ecm with generate these as you drive the car in different conditions and then "pass" the onboard emissions test of the system.

I would be interested; in knowing what part numbers specifically, that you replaced the original parts with. Its good the CEL is gone and things seems to be working ok.

If you had VCDS; you could read live data to "see" what the readings of the 02 sensors are/were; to determine if they are working as they should.

Your new 02 sensors; maybe fine but I always want to double check and confirm that you have the right parts for your particular year, engine, spec, etc.

If you are able to find your receipt or other info about the parts you installed; please post that info up. Do you mean you got the parts from "Rock Auto" online or somewhere else (I am not familiar with "Rockway auto" ? If it is RockAuto online; you can login to your account and the parts you ordered; will still be shown/saved in your online account. You are referencing driving so many "kilometers"; are you in Canada?

·
German Turbo Lover
22 Posts
Could have the 02s coded out.

As stated above you could have the o2s coded out at your tuners. IMO they are a PIA, it is what I will do when my 2nd o2 goes out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, well; it is possible, that the ecm had the code that was persistent or remained (in memory); just like mine but that driving the car... caused the code to go away after awhile (because the readiness code was finally generated).

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Readiness

With VCDS; you can generate readiness codes with the software but the ecm with generate these as you drive the car in different conditions and then "pass" the onboard emissions test of the system.

I would be interested; in knowing what part numbers specifically, that you replaced the original parts with. Its good the CEL is gone and things seems to be working ok.

If you had VCDS; you could read live data to "see" what the readings of the 02 sensors are/were; to determine if they are working as they should.

Your new 02 sensors; maybe fine but I always want to double check and confirm that you have the right parts for your particular year, engine, spec, etc.

If you are able to find your receipt or other info about the parts you installed; please post that info up. Do you mean you got the parts from "Rock Auto" online or somewhere else (I am not familiar with "Rockway auto" ? If it is RockAuto online; you can login to your account and the parts you ordered; will still be shown/saved in your online account. You are referencing driving so many "kilometers"; are you in Canada?
Thanks again Billymade for your concern. Yes, I bought the two oxygen sensors from Rock Auto. The two sensors are 1) Upstream is a Delphi with a Delphi part number ES 10921 2,) The 2ns downstream is APWI brand with a part Nnumber AP4389.
This is the one that throws the code P1198 and disappear after driving it for about 200 km. I has now been 250km and the CEL light is not bringing up any code. Maybe you are right about the readiness code. I am happy and hopefully this is the end of it. I only have a beginners OBD reader and I can try reading it again. Yes Billymade, I am from Canada and RockAuto Online is where I ordered the parts from.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Well, after doing a little googling; I found someone selling the APW sensor; for this reason:

"Please note: the reason I am selling this part is my 2001 AVH Jetta threw a CEL because it the sensor did not have the internal heater. (emphases mine) I have no idea why an O2 sensor should require a heater! The car ran fine with it."

This sounds like the same problem you had; this maybe why the sensor was cheaper and why technically, it may not be the truly "correct" sensor for your application. This is the problem with buying non oem; lower priced and quality parts, they do not always meet the standards of the original part.

Delphi, is a better company then APW (they are a oem supplier to GM and other car manufacturers); according to their parts lookup guide: this is the sensor they list for a 2000 NB with a 1.8T:

ES20168 Oxygen Sensor
wrench size: 7/8 in.
Rear
1.8L L4 1781cc
Turbocharged
APH Engine code
GAS
Actual OE Part

Automotive Aftermarket Catalog - MyCarParts

That is for the rear; the "actual OE part" listing, is encouraging; the front sensor is not listed on their website but you confirmed by calling their tech line? Rock Auto lists it as being compatible.

The APW sensor; seems to be not be oem, I would get another one such as the bosch and return the APW.

This is your call but I would want the best quality, as close to original parts as possible (OEM) that came with the car. I don't know but the heater aspect of the 02 sensor, may effect a smog check but I do not know for sure.

Interestingly enough; the Bosch sensors are not much more or in some cases, cheaper then the delphi and slightly more for the APW parts. Go figure! :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts