VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 converted to electric
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up an electric rack from a 2013 Beetle with the intention of installing it in my 2003.

I currently use an electric hydraulic pump to drive the existing rack, but it's very noisy.

The rack responds to being powered up and runs once the rpm signal is on the can bus, so electrically not a problem, physically its larger and looks to hang lower so possibly fouls the subframe

Has anyone by chance installed one or knows how different a 2013 subframe is?

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,738 Posts
The '13 is a completely different chassis so I imagine its not a simple bolt up affair and would need some modification to work, if it would at all.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I see what you mean by “noise” that could be a bit annoying. I also see it appears as though you are rebuilding that beetle. I saw the cluster was missing.

As far as adapting a 2013 steering rack, no one I know of has done it but for the cost of a new rack $500us or a used one from a junkyard <$100us . It might not be worth the effort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Old video, a built it a couple of years ago now. I've already got the electric rack in the garage. There's no engine to drive a new or reman hydraulic pump and no engine noise to cover up the whine of the current electric pump. Drives me crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes fully electric. Custom ECU so the car gets the correct messages and thinks theres an engine running.

I was hoping for something with minimal downtime as it's my daily and only car, like if the later sub frame by chance fitted. I'll have to either grab a spare subframe to modify and swap over instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts