NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have replaced door lock actuator as it stopped working. The window on passenger side has never worked, thought it was the door lock but obviously not.
The lock, mirrors, etc all work. The window doesn't, but im assuming the module on the electric winder is ok. What I need to know is, can I just replace the motor on the unit, or do I replace the whole unit? The car is 2005 Convertible.
TIA

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Have you scanned the car with a vw specific scan tool; electrical issuea, can throw vw factory trouble codes, possibly narrowing down the problem.

If just the window motor isn't working; are you getting power at the plug to the motor and have you tried putting direct 12V power to the motor and see if it works? I would want to confirm, the wiring and the motor are good, before replacing the motor. Wiring harness damage and problems are common; especially at the flex area of the wires (from the body to the door).

We have seen another issues, where people install used parts like the motor (because they are si exoensive); from other years that are not compatible and they do not work, as the various years are not always compatible (even though they can fit). Look or signs of swapped parts and markings, indicating it is a junk yard/used part (typically yellow paint/marker).

You can also look up the part numbers on the vw parts site and see if they match. parts.vw.com

If you end up with a bad motor; they are expensive from vw but you might get rebuilt ones from Cardone to save some money.

Look up the window motors on Cardone's site here:

http://m.cardone.com

Let us know,the results of your troubleshooting/scanning/testing and we can go from there. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts