NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 1999 on the 6th, and it has been running beautifully until today when I was driving down the highway and the electrical system just shut down. (No warning whatsoever).The car was still running, but I could tell that the fuel pump was not working. Then, the radio and everything else shut off, but still the car was running (which was really, really odd). So, I pulled over, it stalled completely, and then when I turned the key off and back on, everything was fine. It started with no trouble and electrical was back up. No CEL or anything. I am just learning about this car, but it sounds like a sensor or a relay or something.

I had to start it up later to move it. Still no indicator lights or any hint of a problem. But, I know this will happen again.

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
I just bought a used 1999 on the 6th, and it has been running beautifully until today when I was driving down the highway and the electrical system just shut down. (No warning whatsoever).The car was still running, but I could tell that the fuel pump was not working. Then, the radio and everything else shut off, but still the car was running (which was really, really odd). So, I pulled over, it stalled completely, and then when I turned the key off and back on, everything was fine. It started with no trouble and electrical was back up. No CEL or anything. I am just learning about this car, but it sounds like a sensor or a relay or something.

I had to start it up later to move it. Still no indicator lights or any hint of a problem. But, I know this will happen again.
My car was kinda doing the same thing last week and it turned out I needed a new alternator..
My radio was going on and off, my speedo would stop working, everything would shut off.. Then I'd take my key out of the ignition and then crank my car again and everything would be fine

>>United States Air Force<<

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alternator, huh?

Let me know how that goes. I would tend to agree if my battery was being drained or my headlights were dimming. But, this was very abrupt, and I didn't lose any amperage. I am going to check out the battery and fuses tommorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What did you find, Circuspunk?

Similar situation; Driving along and complete electrical failure (odometer disappeared, tachometer and other gauges to zero, ALL lights went out, clock out) then it all came back. Took car to driveway and was backing in - it happened again. This time it was quiet and I listened. I heard some relays clicking, then Odometer came back on, clock came back but was reset to 12:00, fuel gauge, etc. The only thing that has changed in the last week was a new battery (Cold Cranking Amps were below minimum so battery was replaced). Afraid to drive it at night because would cause a complete midnight of my car when on the road . . .

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Check that the short cable going from the battery positive post to the fuse panel above the battery was properly tightened down after the battery was replaced. Also check that both battery post clamps are tight.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
battery

What did you find, Circuspunk?

Similar situation; Driving along and complete electrical failure (odometer disappeared, tachometer and other gauges to zero, ALL lights went out, clock out) then it all came back. Took car to driveway and was backing in - it happened again. This time it was quiet and I listened. I heard some relays clicking, then Odometer came back on, clock came back but was reset to 12:00, fuel gauge, etc. The only thing that has changed in the last week was a new battery (Cold Cranking Amps were below minimum so battery was replaced). Afraid to drive it at night because would cause a complete midnight of my car when on the road . . .
how old is this car? was the old battery leaking acid? and if so how bad? Check your chassis grounding wires especially the one under the battery tray sometimes get's very corroded and looses contact because of the batteries losing acid throughout the years. Another common failure in older yr cars is the ignition key switch looses contact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts