VW Beetle Forum banner

Electrical Failure while driving!! HELP!!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  esse10 
battery

What did you find, Circuspunk?

Similar situation; Driving along and complete electrical failure (odometer disappeared, tachometer and other gauges to zero, ALL lights went out, clock out) then it all came back. Took car to driveway and was backing in - it happened again. This time it was quiet and I listened. I heard some relays clicking, then Odometer came back on, clock came back but was reset to 12:00, fuel gauge, etc. The only thing that has changed in the last week was a new battery (Cold Cranking Amps were below minimum so battery was replaced). Afraid to drive it at night because would cause a complete midnight of my car when on the road . . .
how old is this car? was the old battery leaking acid? and if so how bad? Check your chassis grounding wires especially the one under the battery tray sometimes get's very corroded and looses contact because of the batteries losing acid throughout the years. Another common failure in older yr cars is the ignition key switch looses contact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.