VW Beetle Forum banner

Electrical issue

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  twistd 
#1 ·
So, my car has an electrical issue. We've replaced the alternator. (And, by we, I mean my mechanic) I don't turn the alarm on anymore because of the micro switch issue, I've disconnected all of the lightbulbs in the vehicle, I even take the faceplate off of the radio when I'm not driving it. But, for some reason, every other morning, when I go out to the car to start it, the battery is dead.

Has anyone else has this problem? If so, what would I need to check?

#2 ·
Do you have a Monsoon radio?

#4 ·
Simplest thing to do is buy a cheap $10 test light.

http://www.amazon.com/ATD-5513-Heav...TF8&qid=1438379552&sr=8-1&keywords=test+light

Disconnect the battery and put the test light in series with the battery terminals and watch the test light.

The bulb should not be lit, if it is, you have too high of a parasitic power draw. The test light is often easier to use than a meter for most beginners.

Start to unplug fuses one at a time until the test light goes out.

You may have a problem with the car/convenience module not going to sleep if the door micro switch is not working correctly and this could be part of all of your problem.

With the door open to access the fuse box, you need to use a screw driver or pen to actually trip the door latch to make the car think the door is actually closed. Then when you are finished, you need to pull the door handle and flip the door latch back the open position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.