VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all of a sudden I have two (that I can track) electrical issues that may be as simple as a common fuse. I don't have the Bentley Manual yet (I was planning to get one when I get paid next week) so I can't really look it up on my own.

The Cruise Control and Overhead Console (time/temp) have stopped working. The only thing in the overhead console working is the clock. There is no temperature or background illumination.

Is there a common fuse that may be the link between the cruise and overhead stuff?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Has your battery been disconnected or run down recently? I seem to remember the same combination of things happening after I had the battery run down once. The solution for the display was to momentarily disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the display module. The solution for the cruise control was to do a throttle body adaption by turning the key to "run" without starting the engine and waiting 30 seconds. I see you have a '99. This method of throttle body adaption will work for the AEG engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing I have done to the Beetle in the last month or so before this started happening is change the oil and change the power mirror switch.

The power mirror switch was *possibly* the correct one, if not it was close enough to make the mirrors move (although the retract feature doesn't work and honestly I do not know if the car is supposed to even have that). I also do not have side mirror defrost working, but it may be burnt out elements and not the switch - I have not troubleshot that issue quite yet.

The last mirror switch I had was the wrong one, so I bought another one from ECS Tuning and it worked. Old one was VEMO brand and the new one was Uro I think.

The battery is only a year old and there have been no signs of battery/charging problems nor have I disconnected it at all in the last year.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Do you have an automatic or manual? If it's a manual it could be the clutch switch, although that doesn't answer the temp display issue. Maybe check the sensor by the driver side fog light to make sure it didn't get messed up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the input.

I did try the throttle body adaption. I turned the key on, waited at least 30 seconds, turned the key off and then started it. It did not seem to remedy the issue, unfortunately.

With regard to the temp display, the overhead console has more going on bad than just the temp display. I can not alter the time, the time/temp illumination does not work either. What does work on the overhead console is the time (non adjustable) and the map light in the mirror. Very odd.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I found the culprit in this problem and thought I'd post it up here in case anyone else has the problem and needs a solution.

As a first matter of troubleshooting, I decided to look at the fuse. Without owning a copy of the Bentley manual (yet), and the fuse/circuit information I found on the web inconclusive, I just tested every fuse in the passenger compartment fuse panel.

I did find a blown fuse. Fuse number 5 (upper portion mini fuses) was the one. It is a 7.5A fuse.

Once replaced the overhead console backlight illumination and temperature readout worked. Also I was able to change the time.

Another side note, my DRL was on anytime the key was on, and I also had the "Brake" light on in the cluster. I assumed I needed a brake job (pad wear sensors) and figured the DRL full-on was another issue.

It isn't - it is also powered by that fuse. Seems the brake light and the DRL (both inhibited with power) were tied into that circuit as well. So, my DRL is only on when the parking brake is disengaged, and I no longer have the brake light on full time.

Good news - I learned something new and also I don't need a brake job right away!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also on the way home from work today I was able to verify the cruise control also now works. Not sure how the cruise fits into this one circuit but perhaps it had something to do with the brake being tripped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts