NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
new mem - long time owner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, while driving home from work I noticed that I'm having some electrical issues with my 2006 Beetle TDI. My Turn signals, windshield wipers, and internal blower (fan) are not working. However, the radio, hazard lights, and internal dashboard lights do work. (haven't tried the mirrors or other items). :confused:

I checked and and have found no blown fuses (either on top of the battery or in the fuse panel by the door).

I'm thinking a ground wire - but not sure where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Charles

(btw - this is my daily driver for my 165 mile round trip to work - I need to fix it asap!!!)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
My guess goes to ignition switch.

·
Super Moderator
14,774 Posts
Ignition switch X2. It's exactly what I needed with those symptoms.

Think about it:

Everything you mentioned, doesn't need the key to work. The things that don't, need the key to be on.

Make sense? :wink2:

By the way, you don't have headlights either...... Get the switch replaced. :(

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can def check the ignition, but I would have figured the radio wouldn't work. (it turns on when I start the key - and off when I turn the ignition off).

·
Super Moderator
14,774 Posts
When you turn off the ignition, yes the radio turns off. But....with the key out, you can turn the stereo back on, for up to one hour (I think) with no key. :)

You need the ignition switch. :eek:

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Got up early to drive to work - and the head lights didn't work either. The daytime lights came on but they weren't bright enough to drive in the dark, so I had to drive 90 min holding the bright light switch back so I could see.

And you guys were correct. The ignition switch was burnt and melted a bit of the plastic on the receptor and the wire looks like it got a little hot.

But I plugged in the new switch and everything works now - Thanks so much for your help :)

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts