NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few days days now I've been having several electrical issues. When my lights are on they will flicker. Not my outside lights but just the inside. Also sometimes the windows won't work when the car is on but if i turn off and leave key in it will work. Same with sunroof except it won't work with car on or off. Also the emergency brake light flashes, abs light comes on, and asr light. And when i accelerate there is a whistling noise that is different from the sound of the the turbo. I also have subs wired in and when these problems popped up the cars aftermarket Kenwood stereo and the subs lost power momentarily. The amp was broken so i figured it short circuited and had my subs and amp removed and all the problems popped up again 2 days later. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Known problems: Dead O2 sensor, Evap leak

These issues come on and off periodically and seem to happen more frequently when there is hard acceleration if that means anything.

Also i smelled something burning the other day.

2000 New Beetle GLX 1.8T
227,4XX miles

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would start by checking the wires coming off of the alternator. Then work my way back to the fuse block/wiring on top of the battery. These are known problem areas with these cars.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Remove the engine cover. Grab it from the front and give it a tug straight up. Once it's loose pull it straight towards you. You can see the whole engine now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bug died last night. Tried to start and battery light flashed weakly. Got a JumpStart next morning and was up and running. Checked alternator wires and all looked good.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts
How old is the battery?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts
I'd take the car to autozone and have them test your battery and alternator. Make sure they load test it too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to O'Reilly's today they said alternator was fine. Tomorrow I'll go to Auto zone and have them test it. I think they go more in depth but they're a ways away. I'll post results tomorrow

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
WHOA! So the guy at auto zone helped me, and half way through the test he stopped it due to the battery boiling. That's NOT good. I guess my alternator is overcharging the battery and the guy who helped me said it could explode! He said I should probably go to Volkswagen and have them do a full inspection on the vehicle. I had noticed an odor prior to today and I wasn't sure what it was but apparently it is the battery.

What do you think the best thing to do now would be?

EDIT: I just had a thought. Could the problem be the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Definitely sounds like a voltage regulator problem if the alternator is overcharging the battery that hard!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts