NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My fuel flap switch release stopped working so I swapped the switches to confirm it was the switch at fault not the solenoid.

Connected the fuel flap switch to trunk release and it works?

So at the minute I've got the switches connected the opposite way round (fuel flap opens trunk, trunk opens fuel flap) and they both work fine.

If I connect them the correct way the fuel flap switch doesn't work?

Any ideas where the problem might lie?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Most likely the fuel flap switch has developed excessive resistance in it's contacts. The two switches are electrically identical, however the rear lid switch send a signal to the comfort module whereas the fuel flap switch operates the unlock motor directly. The fuel flap switch must be able to operate with a much larger current draw than the rear lid switch.

·
Registered
2001 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0
7 Posts
I experienced this myself, intermittent operation of the fuel flap release actuator, when checked at the actuator power and ground are good, which would suggest an actuator fault, but actuator tests ok. When switching the fuel flap release and tailgate release switches around the fuel flap actuation was now perfect, the switch was internally failing and while the contacts will show a circuit they could not carry the required current load.
Faulty fuel flap switch on drivers door.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After reading your post, I thought I would have another go at it. My initial thought was to set up a temporary bypass between the switch and the comfort pack, but before I did I gave a gentle pull on the green and brown wire and guess what it came out of the flexi grommet as below. Quick rewire and bingo problem solved.

I am sure I have tested the wiring before but anyway its sorted now.

Thanks everyone for re-inspiring me to look at this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts