NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
first please excuse me for my english..
We have New Beetle 1.9 TDi 4/1999 with instrument cluster problem.. Lights (like engine, battery) are ok but speed, odo, fuel meter stopped working. BUT car is driving fine, everything is working expect that.
I tried read error codes from Instrument Cluser ECU with VAG-COM but i cant connect to it. BUT i cant connect to any other ECUs (like Engine, Brakes etc..) except Airbag ECU !!! Before that problem with instrument cluster connection to all ECUs worked fine. Its wierd...
Before that problem we have only problem with immo sometimes. I start engine but it stopped working after one sec and engine light (glow plugs) blinking. I must quickly start engine again and everything was ok.. Thats happend now too but without light on Inst. cluster.

Any idea ?

Note: We have not aftermarket radio (know CAN problem) and all fuses (engine compartment, left side of dash) are ok. Battery is ok too ( +12.5 V)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Electrical problems are always fun. When my daughter bought her Bug we had to swap out the instrument cluster. The speedo, tach, fuel gauge were all dead. If you go that route you will need to find a TDI cluster from the same year. Here in the states a 99-00-01 would be ok but I'm not sure about other areas of the world and compatibility from year to year. You will also need to have an immo delete done on your ECU otherwise the car will start and shut off. After the immo delete the car will start and run but the immo light will flash constantly. This can be remedied by putting a piece of black electrical tape over the immo bulb or painting the blub black.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx.No any other idea ? In near city there is TDi NB from 1999 on scrapyard and they sell me Instrument Cluster with Engine ECU together.. i am meaning that can be solution for Instrumet cluser problem and immo problem but what about no communications with other units ?? I studied electrical diagrams but without solution.. I readed something about bad ground points.. there is one bellow battery but i cant find it.. bellow battery there is only metal plate. is it reachable from engine compartment or only bellow car ?? Have someone photo of this ground point position ?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Remove the 4 10mm bolts that hold that plate under the battery. The grounds are easy to reach once the battery tray is removed.

If you get the cluster and ECU from the scrap Beetle get the keys also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again!

Ohh keys ..right! .. maybe i need only small RFID chips (looks like old fuses) from it no ?
Its posible to decactive immo like you wrote but work of someone who know how to do that is more expensive like both ECUs .. they want only 3000 czk ..its like 200$

·
Registered
413 Posts
Actually those RFID chips are exactly what you need. Swap the keys from fob to fob or I have a friend whose figured out how to swap the chips themselves from fob to fob.

Doing an immo delete here in the states is often less than $100.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts