NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

2001 Beetle here. I really need help on an issue. So it seems as though my car doesn't start without being jumped. Could this be a bad battery? I got a new one a little over 3 years ago.

Also to add to this, one time my car wouldn't start for several hours. I was just sitting in it and all of a sudden I tried and it turned on. While it was dead it was flickering? And almost ticking? Is this a bad wire/bad battery/alternator?

Thanks,
Leila

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sounds like one of two issues. A bad ignition switch or battery/battery charging issues.

First thing to do is go have a look at your main fuse panel in the box on top of the battery. Make sure it looks nothing like the one pictured in the first post of this thread. If you don't see any issues with the fuse panel and all the connections are CLEAN and TIGHT, ditto the connections on the battery, come back and we'll look at how to diagnose further.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52338-morav-needs-some-help-helping-someone-else-org-battery-fuse-box-issue.html

MORAV

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hey Guys,

2001 Beetle here. I really need help on an issue. So it seems as though my car doesn't start without being jumped. Could this be a bad battery? I got a new one a little over 3 years ago.

Also to add to this, one time my car wouldn't start for several hours. I was just sitting in it and all of a sudden I tried and it turned on. While it was dead it was flickering? And almost ticking? Is this a bad wire/bad battery/alternator?

Thanks,
Leila
What brand battery do you have? I would do as MORAV suggests and then have your battery tested. After 3 years it is probably at the end of any manufacturers warranty and replacement wouldn't be a bad idea especially since you probably drained it several times trying to start the car and then trying to jump it or charge it. There could be other issues but after checking the fuses and wiring the battery is probably a good place to start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey again guys,

So my fuse panel is fine. Everything looks perfect.

The positive lead is the only thing in terms of wiring that looks questionable. Quite rusted, and what not. Picture attached. It's a Duralast battery.

If you guys think this is the problem, then should i look online for a "VW postive lead" or just go grab a generic one at pepboys or something of the like?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts